New Trumpeter 1/32 releases

I got a surprise at my local IPMS chapter meeting last night. One of the discount vendors that always attend the meetings had the new P-40B and MiG-3 kits for sample and I just couldn't help myself. They both look pretty decent, though I've only given them a quick look so far.

The P-40B seems to have a lot of recessed rivet holes. Perhaps they're OK but to me they give the impression of being a bit overdone. The cockpit is OK but could use the aftermarketer's touch. It has the obligatory Trumpeter movable control surfaces/flaps, and reasonably well detailed wheel wells (a nice tail wheel bay). The engine is a beauty of a model in and of itself (though, to me, the valve covers appear that they should stand slightly more proud than they do). I didn't count all the parts that make up the engine assembly but there are a bunch, including a lot of the plumbing, the oil and glycol coolant radiators (with etched metal faces) and separate exhaust stacks. Each stack is split l-r with a hollowed out end so that, when they're glued together, you get the impression of hollow tubing. Decals are for a Brit and a Pearl Harbor (I'm sure they mean Hickam Field) bird. Armament includes the two nose-mounted .50 cals and the four .30 cal wing guns (though if you want to display the wing guns, you'll have to cut the access panels open).

The MiG-3 is a typical molding for Trumpeter with one exception. It has the standard movable control surfaces and leading edge slats, reasonably crisp molding, the same sort of split exhaust stacks (except there are only 2 parts [l-r] for each side). The surprise is that there's no engine to glue the stacks to. That's right, this is the first one of the 1/32 scale warbirds that doesn't come with an engine. I guess they're truing to save a couple bucks. The cockpit looks slightly sparse but I believe the original was a bit sparse. It does have the tube separate from the sidewalls, a decent seat, rudder pedals and a multi-piece control stick. Normally it probably wouldn't be a big deal except that I looked at this one after looking at the P-40B with that really nice and complete-looking engine and it made its absence from the MiG a bit more glaring.

I certainly didn't measure either of them with a set of calipers or a modeler's scale ruler but both look like the aircraft they are supposed to represent to me. They'll both build into respectable models out of the box but I'm sure the aftermarket guys will step up to the plate with cockpit and other detail accessories.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Personally, I'm glad they didn't put an engine in the MiG-3 kit. No ill fitting panels if you don't want to show the engines, gun bays, or whatever. Hasegawa didn't bother with the late Bf109s because they knew many people prefer to model everything buttoned up (except perhaps the canopy) and, if there is a market for an engine and gun bays, the aftermarket will provide. Leaving out the engine and such also keeps the price down (although unfortunately, Trumpeter didn't seen to lower the price of the MiG as compared to other kits of theirs that come with the extras). Other good features in the MiG-3 kit: injection tires instead of the vinyl ones and a conventional injection instrument panel instead of the photo insturments deep behind the too-thick clear panels in their other kits.

I love the MiG-3 kit. Just think the price should have been lower. My 2 cents.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Can't quite tell from the box art, is the Mig-3 have a white or silver finish? Never built a Russian a/c before, and this finish looks fairly different from the OD finish things I have hanging around.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Boxart plane is white overall Craig, lots of pix of that particular a/c, more than likely taken for propaganda purposes. BTW, the Cyrillic on the boxart plane is transliterated as "Za Rodinu" and means "For the Fatherland".

Also, photos of the plane show the white to be paint rather than the whitewash put on Soviet planes for Winter camoflague.

I like the looks of the MiG-3 and may even break my rule of buying Red Chinese kits and building 1/32 (I'm a God's scale builder). I do think the cost should be in the $30.00 range rather than over $40.00. I think Roll Models has them for $36.00US.

Caz

Reply to
Forest Dalton

Two schemes. The main box pic of white top and light blue undersides (the instructions say Gunship gray undersides, which is wrong) and a second scheme of dark green over light blue.

This is the white option:

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

thx for the info and links. just what I was looking for.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Nope, "Za Rodinu!" means "For the Motherland. "Fatherland" in Russian is "Otechestvo."

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne