Trumpeter MiG-3...

AWESOME KIT! But unfortunately, no engine.. But thats ok though. The control surfaces are very neat. Has metal rods and photo etched hinges and that is a plus for me. I like the detailing to it as well.

My project will be building this as the white one and it will have a diorama of the Russian winter on an airbase. Now, is there a way of getting some ground crew in 1/32 scale? MAN that is a hard question. Just want to make it look like there are men around it. One person said to use a 1/35 scale figures. But I guess it is not the right scale. But I grant you it will look real good after I assemble it.

Has anyone here ever got theirs done yet? Speak about it....

William

Reply to
William L. Powell

I'm personally very happy it doesn't have an engine. I wouldn't show it and the omission of the engine means no ill-fitting panels if you want to close it up. I also like that it has normal injection tires instead of the vinyl crap and that it has the "normal" raised detail instrument panel instead of the very thick clear panel that is in their other kits.

Only negative is that I wish they had dropped the price to take into account that this kit has these "extras" omitted.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

David:

Have you seen the MSRP on Trumpeter's 1/32 scale Lockheed P-38 yet??? It will make that old Revell kit you have sitting on the shelf look better and better. :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Have you seen the MSRP on Trumpeter's 1/32 scale Lockheed P-38 yet???

and that price is?????

Craig

Reply to
Craig

VLS shows $120. Pretty excessive in my book, almost twice as much as the Corsairs, and about the same price as the F-105s. Even if it included two full engines and a complete gun bay, I can't see it having enough plastic to justify that price.

Fortunately, I'll probably pass on that kit as I'm not interested much in the later P-38s. Now if it were an -F model, I might have to think harder.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Just started the MiG-3. Now, I want to ask a question if I may... Has anyone have any knowledge of what the cockpit interior color is? It shows a Matt Light Grey. It doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone give me some help on it?

William

Reply to
William L. Powell

According to the "Modeling the VVS" site on the Mig-3, the interior color was actually a blue-grey.

I plan to use Aeromaster's Intermediate blue ANA 608 for the cockpit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

A color very simmilar to RLM 02.

Do a quick google search, and you should find what you need.

I did my CA 1/48 MiG 3 in a slightly modified RLM 02, I added a little more gray to it, and than weathered it.

There are quite a few VVS websites out there that will have the proper info.

Azzz1588

(rest snipped)

I'm with you, Dave; that was my only point in mentioning that it didn't have an engine when I gave my "snapshot" review on Thursday. As with you, I don't mind all that much that it doesn't have an engine.

I normally don't open them up when I build them either (but will probably make an exception with the P-40B). I bought both the P-40B and the MiG-3 from the vendor at our IPMS meeting for $33.50. I saw both as my local hobby shop yesterday and, while I don't remember the exact retail price, I did remember that both were priced the same. Overall, there are probable almost half-again as many parts in the P-40 box than in the MiG-3 box (a significant number of those probably related to the engine, which has some 40+/- parts alone, I would suspect).

I'm just a layman and do not understand all the economic ins and outs of the plastic molding game but it would just seem to me that the expense of cutting the molds and producing the kits does have some repation to the number of parts that are cut into the molds and put in the box.

Don't take this wrong; I think they're both great kits. I've already started the MiG-3 and will probably build at least a couple of the P-40Bs. I thought I'd never go back to building 1/32 scale aircraft anymore but Trumpeter has been doing some really interesting stuff in that scale and it looks like I'm going to be building several more. I just hope this is not the hint of a trend for Trumpeter to begin slowly reducing the number of parts, skimping on details. or, perhaps, employ other short-cuts later that may impact the overall appeal of these kits.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Haven't seen an official announcement but the vendor I bought the P-40B and MiG-3 from said they would be up aaroiund $100.00 (the same or a bit more for the Avenger). When he asked me if I wanted to preorder one, I told him.........no thanks.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I sort-of eyeballed the color by uning light gull gray with a little intermediate blue mixed in. I think that will be close enough for me.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I have noticed over the years here on RMS that RLM 02 is the answer to many color questions much as chicken is the answer to many food questions.

"What does alligator tail taste like?

"Chicken."

What do jelly beans wrapped in bacon taste like?"

"Chicken."

"What is the interior color of the Botswanan Rasputin K-99 Bullfrog Hyperjet?"

"RLM 02."

"What is the color of the alimentary canal of a Nepalese sheep herder?"

"RLM 02."

It's a wonderment.

:-)

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

Smart thinking.... William

Reply to
William L. Powell

ROFL on that one...

I checked witht hat website though. Interesting pictures. I did download some pictures of the cockpit of the fighter. Now it is time to go to work...

William

Reply to
William L. Powell

Been having considerable difficulty with my typing lately! Of course that was supposed to be "mixing" not "uning."

I can't even begin to imagine how I turned mixing into that! Too bad I don't have one of those attachments that turn the spoken voice into the typed word :~)

. "The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Take my word for it. Those things aren't the perfect answer to perfect documents either.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

What does RLM 02 taste like?

Chicken of course!

Reply to
The shuffling Shambling Zombiefied corpse of estarriol

Well I agree on the Tires, plastic ones are fine with me, but I'll miss the instrument panel the way it was, I like that, and if one finds the clear part to thick, it can be sanded down, but when you're not to good at drybrushing, the film saves you a lot. I would also like to have the engine, and as the price seems to be the same they could have included it. Wether to put it in or not, that's a completely different queation though, I seem to have a whole pile of engines - mayby I'll do a stand for them all one day.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

This is almost exactly what I have done for WWII Soviet fighter interiors. They seem to run from blue grey to light grey.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

And, with few exceptions, that would probably carry you well right up through the MiG-19.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll