Trumpeter 1/32 Corsiar--opinions?

I've been tempted to get one if the price is right, and now it's at least better ($34). I'm a big bent-wing fan, but I already have three Revell kits, and a cockpit PE set for one of them. I've had the Trumpeter box open, and there seems to be quite a bit in there for detail goodies. This leaves me a bit between a rock and a hard spot. I could easily live without the kit, but I could also get it and lose one or two of the Revells. General thoughts?

Reply to
Disco58

One thing I forgot to mention...I know the Revell kits aren't dead-on accurate, but I really don't care about all that. It's a Corsair for sure, so good enough. What I'm more concerned about with the Trumpeter kit is how well, or how poorly, it goes together, and is it worth the price?.

Reply to
Disco58

Have built a couple of them. Went together better than the Revells,and done alot of them over 20 years. But if you don't want the Trump. kit send it my way. John

Reply to
ajsandusky

I have examples of each in the box. If you like scratch building, the Revell is really not a bad start, but you'll spend the Trumpeter full retail price on aftermarket for it (at least I did) to get it looking really slick - like replacing the kit engine with a Tecknics one, cockpit kit, Waldron placards, Eduard etch...and I'd really recomend a set of metal gear if you can build or find a set. Then there's all those raised panel lines...

The Trumpeter kit has engraved lines and moveable control surfaces for starters, and you're right - there's far more initial detail in the kit box overall. The engine is really nice looking, and with the Eduard set alone looks even better. You'll need to do some scratch-work on the cowl flaps to get them a bit less "toothy". For aftermarket, I think the addition of the three Eduard etch sets (engine, cockpit, and exterior) will produce an exceptional looking result. The only big knock I've heard about is some folks having trouble with the operating wing fold being weak, but you can choose and glue there as you like. Trumpeter's landing gear are an improvement over the Revell kit as well.

Personally, I prefer the Trumpeter kit to the Revell and am thinking of buying a second one for a relatively simple conversion to a Birdcage...unless I elect to do that with my Revell kit.

I also have two of the Trumpeter Wildcats - one for OOB and one for an FM-2 conversion...and would like to pick up a second Trumpeter P-38 as well...still hoping for a 1/32 P-61 from Trumpeter...someday.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Rufus

Considering the Chinese have a P-61 in one of their museums this might not be as far fetched as you think!!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yeah. That's what's keeping hope alive.

That, and the fact that Trumpeter has issued everything I've asked for in 1/32 so far with the exception of a Black Widow and a Mig-23...and an Su-22.

Reply to
Rufus

Pretty good batting avg - remind me to send you my wish list.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Silver Hill (Air & Space Museum) also has a P 61. It was used as a testbed A/C after the war, and thats how they are restoring it. Evidently for a P 61, it was a significant A/C. Saw it a few times before while it was still in a combination of black, and primer, dont know how far they have gone with it now.

Reply to
AM

Hey WmB:

Surest way to get an injection molded kit released---build a vac-u-form kit!

Bill Shuey Whose 1/48 Falcon Canberra is painted, decalled and ready to have landing gear installed.

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Heh...that's how I got the Su-27 out of them...I started a vac ID models one...

Reply to
Rufus

Man! You're even braver than I am!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

How about a Halifax? How many survive to study? 1 or 2? Man a nice

1:72 Halifax would be great.

Ken

Reply to
Ken D

i thought the matchbox could be built up nice? someone else has it out now.

Didn't say I finished it...;)

Reply to
Rufus

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

Had the same thing happen to me with the Dynavector Wyvern. But I got it finished and I don't think I'm gonna get me the Trumpeter version. (unless it's on sale somewhere)

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace