Trumpeter 1/32 Corsair!!!

Ok, folks...I picked mine up today and (through the drooling) have spent a short bit of time looking it over. As I type, I have both my Revell and Trumpeter kits splayed out on my bed...here's what I think:

1) Yes - the Trumpeter kit wins. But it's not without faults - the most notable being the overdone fabric areas that I've read about elswhere. As suggested, some sanding will cure them.

2) All of the flying surfaces, including he flaps and wingfolds, are hinged using etched parts and brass rod. One of the more challenging things in the instruction is how they want you to secure the hinge plates by upsetting the ends of a VERY short length of brass rod...this is a metalsmithing technique that I'm not even sure I want to emply my jewelers skills on for a model...we'll see. I may opt for tiny brass nuts and bolts instead - they'd look great.

3) While the tail wheel and arrestng hook are both retractable and articulated (including the actuation cylinder for the hook) the main gear are fixed in place...sort of strange engineering, IMO. One nice thing about the mains is that the way they go together you can set the amount of compression in the oleos if you care to.

4) Clear cowling...ok...and yes, the cowl flaps do look a bit "toothy", but so do the ones on the Revell kit. I plan to dress them up, anyway.

5) Decals - one of the included schemes is for a bona-fide CAF plane!

6) The cockpit looks great - I plan to use the Eduard set I bought for my Revell one unless Eduard does one specifically for this kit, but for the most part the Trumpeter cockpit is a HUGE improvement over the Revell kit.

7) The kit engine looks great - a bit of wiring and home made extras will easily dress it up into something fine.

So...what do I do with my Revell kit now?..funny, but I'm not quite ready to dump it...I mean, I must have $120 worth of aftermarket goodies in that Revell box. Oh...wait...I can move them to the Trumpeter box...guess I'm gonna build a Trumpeter Birdcage Corsair. And it's gonna look GOOD!

Keep 'em coming, Trumpter.

Reply to
Rufus

One other item I've noticed. Check out the relative sizes of the exhaust pipes to the exhaust cutout in the lower fuselage. I think the pipes are too small (look like 1/48) and the fuselage opening is too big. There is going to be a whole lot of space between those tiny pipes and the big hole they go through.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I know that Moskit makes a "detailing set" for the Corsair in 1/32, presumably for the Revell kit - it includes a resin chunk for hte opening in the lower fuselage; and they make a set of exhausts as well - not sure if they are the entire pipe, or just the ends.

I plan to bend my own out of brass (or other suitable) tubing anyway. Thanks for the observation - I'll be keeping it in mind.

Reply to
Rufus

You sound like my girlfriend.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

In the market for a vacuum forming machine, perhaps?

(No, I'm not selling mine :o)

Reply to
Sten

Thanks for the first look.

Anyone else on the net have an review/first look up?

Worr, out

Reply to
Bernie Worral

Anyone know the actual release date for their F4U-4 in 1/32?

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com, Bill Woodier at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 11/1/03 8:46 AM:

Our local shop got those in a few days ago. It's out now.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Chris Mikesh ran a "sidewalk sale" near his old store location this afternoon and he had both the -4 Corsair and the -4 Wildcat.

r.e. The Corsair: much of what has been said so far about the -1d will also apply to the -4. There is a transparent cowling for the bird and the engine on this thing will be a model project in itself. Under wing stores include two big drop tanks, two approx. 1000 lb. bombs, 8 5" rockets. Kit decals are by Aero-Master and markings are for one of VMF-323's Korean era birds with the big rattlesnake on the cowling and Ken Walsh's VMF-222 bird from Okinawa. After looking the kit over and reading the instructions I do see one glaring problem: Where in the hell is the $*@&#+& relief tube??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Marines don't need relief tubes. They can piss out the window.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

Thanks Milton. That's great news. When I saw the 1/32 scale F4U-1D in the shop last week, the owner said he didn't know when the -4s would be released. Guess I'd better go back up there and ask him if he has some unopened boxes from his distributor sitting in the back :~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I thought I saw it listed in the November Squadron flyer...

Reply to
Rufus

in article snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net, William H. Shuey at snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net wrote on 11/1/03 3:16 PM:

Re. the Okinawa bird; check out the BNumber on the aft fuselage. It's the CAF number! Not entirely "wrong" but...

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Not only is it the CAF number, but it also has the CAF legend below it...at least you could do an "as it is TODAY" model. Interesting option.

Reply to
Rufus

I hadn't gotten it as of the date of this post. I just brought it in from the mailbox and will have a look this evening.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I intend to do mine as Jesse Brown's aircraft.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I was just looking again this afternoon and must have skipped over it...but what DID catch my eye was a listing for the re-tooled Trumpeter Wildcat...gotta get one...

Reply to
Rufus

in article osDpb.99807$Tr4.264652@attbi_s03, Rufus at snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote on 11/3/03 7:40 PM:

Picked up a Wildcat when I looked over the Corsair. It's pretty nice and the cockpit mods (no floor) should work the same as on the Corsair. You will need to add a "fuel tank" or something to block the sidewise view through the belly windows. Impressive kit in the box, especially the wing-fold.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I bought mine on sunday here in Denmark

Claus "Milton Bell" skrev i en meddelelse news:BBC96E69.258D4% snipped-for-privacy@austin.rr.com...

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Hw well did they do on fixing the problems? I read some of the posts on the Wildcat a couple weeks ago, along with a URL to a site that discussed the problems with it. I remember some saying the problems discussed were with the first tooling of the kit; others opined therer were problems with the new tool.

I'd like to get one but don't want to spend the time messing around with a lot of major surgery to fix very obvious errors of basic outline. Does anyone have the difinitive answer to the accuracy of the new tooling of the Wildcat?