Trumpeter 1/32 P-38L - Impressions.

First - VERY nice, Trumpeter. Another BIG kit, lots of parts, lots of detail. Embossed rivet detail with nice lightly engraved panel lines. The rivet impressions look a bit large at first glance, but I think once the kit is painted they will probably look just right.

The kit includes two fully detailed engines, complete with all of the duct work back to the superchargers. Very nice - could make weighting the kit to sit on the gear properly a bit difficult, but hey - we like challenges, don't we? Sturdy looking landing gear comprised of multiple parts...will look really great with some added hyd lines. Rubber tires; the tread patterns are a bit softly molded, IMO, but not bad - at least they are ROUND. Rubber parts are also included for the ignition leads on the engines. Lots of parts in the cockpit, film for the instruments

- the addition of a set of Waldron placards to the kit cockpit will put it over the top, IMO.

Two large frets of etched parts - one with the usual Trumpeter etch and rod surface hinges (all of the surfaces, including the Fowler flaps are hinged), and one with radiator grills (fronts and backs - again, very nicely done), dive brakes, throttle levers, and seat strap hardware.

The forward, center, top, and aft canopy parts are molded as seperate items - you can roll down the side glass if you like! The flaps are also positionable, and the (working) fold away boarding ladder in the aft center pod is also included.

Underwing stores include choices of rockets/trees, bombs, and drop tanks. A full gun bay is provided, with hinged access doors. The guns themselves leave a bit to be desired - no representation of the cooling holes in the barrel shrouds, for example, and the receivers look a bit "rough". Should be easy enough to find aftermarket replacements, though if you're inclined.

I'm also not too thrilled about the shape of the propellers - they are molded without hubs and look a bit thick at the root end...this may be an illusion, and they may look just fine once the spinners are assembled to them. I'll need to compare them to the ones in my Revell kit, and I may just steal those props if I like them better.

Kit decals are by Eagle Editions...I may just use them, unless I find another scheme I like better than the two provided (I've also seen on thier website that they have some more P-38 sets forthcoming...). Even though I dread doing metal finishes, this kit is screaming for one...it would be REALLY impressive in metal...though I have one in mind in OD with invasion stripes that may be equally impressive...

The engines, landing gear and gear wells, and cockpit are models unto themselves in this kit - I may build one engine removed and just sit it on a stand beside the kit...they are that good looking. If you want a big P-38, this is the one...a fine starting point for a detail-freak's dream. Any thoughts of building my Revell kit are history now.

Now...when is my Su-27 coming, Trumpeter?..

Reply to
Rufus

I looked at it in the box at one of the local hobby shops and, ahile I did not open any of the plastic parts bags, was also impressed. My one disappointment is that I thought they were going to include decals for COL Charles MacDonald's "Putt-Putt" but the ones I saw were for COL George Lavin and anothert that I don't remember. Hopefully, the aftermarket folks will bring out a batch for some of the more notable Lightning pilots soon. I do still have the ancient MicroScale decal sheet, designed for the onl Revell kit, for Tommy McGuire's aircraft, and may use that if, after I dig it out and look it over, it looks to be a decent representation of his aircraft.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Hey Woodier.

Skip the $100+ Trumpeter P-38 and go with the $12 Halinski 1/33rd "Marge." Trust me. Printed in metallic silver ink with shaded silver panels for a realistic effect. Unbeatable if you can handle it. Real modelers don't need over-priced plastic that does all the work for you. You might as well go out and buy die-cast or 21st Century Toys (dolls for men).

...../V

disappointment

Reply to
Vess Irvine

sounds like you got the paper bug, vess.

I do. ...../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine