Revell U-Boat...OH, YEAH!!!

I've been wanting to build a large U-boat ever since I began the hobby

40 years ago...now I have one. Just opened it and looked it over...I may need two...

So - now that I can do it, I want to do it right. Any suggestions on good U-boat refs for us mainly airplane guys?

Reply to
Rufus

you dog...i'm green with envy, rufe. anybody wanna buy a motorcycle?

how many are in a wolf pack?

on a side u-boat note, does anyone know if Squadron has sold any of their

1/32 u-boats for $2000 +/-?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I am fixing to buy 2 of them. One a static model and the second, a R/C one.

William

Craig wrote:

Reply to
William L. Powell

The thing is just plain COOOOOOL!!! Going to be a neat painting excersize, too. In the little bit of research I've done so far I've found some neat camo patterns. I also have the first set of aftermarket decals for it. there's enough variation there to make you want to build more than one.

Reply to
Rufus

what? no pe?

No one seems to have answered your question, so here goes. There is a lot of discussion on detailing the Revell 1:72 over on the SubCommittee site. See the following thread:

Photoetch is planned for this kit; see the above thread.

Suggest you also check out U-boat net at:

Also check out ongoing discussions at:

Finally, the best reference book, IMHO, is The Type VII U-Boat (Anatomy of teh Ship series) by David Westwood. Contains an incredible number of precise, large drawings of hulls and all details. Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

Also, to the request for U-Boat references, there are MANY publications. Just pay a call to your local library, book store or Google search.

Squadron has several publications on the subject.

I agree, the recently re-published Anatomy of Ships "The Type VII U-Boat" is top stuff.

My favorite is "The U-Boat" by Eberhard Rossler. It is the definitive reference!!

You can look for "The German Navy at War - Volume 2 The U-Boat". Also a good reference is "Type VIIU-Boats" by Robert Stern. Another excellent reference is "Vom Original Vum Modell: Ubottype VII-C", but you should be able to read some German to fully understand how good this book is. Last, is another good reference, "U-Bootwaffe 1939-1945", but this time you understanding some Polish helps.

Off subject (because it is a Type XB) is "Germany's Last Mission to Japan, the failed voyage of U-234". This is a good view into one aspect of the U-Boat war not often discussed.

Dick Beemer

Reply to
Rbbeemer

Why do you think I haven't got it half built yet?...don't think I haven't been looking for etch for it. I already have aftermarket decals...

Reply to
Rufus

that WAS a rhetorical question...hehe.

Has anyone already made a radio control version of it that I can see?

Could it be made to submerge and rise or just go on the surface?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored

Artist

Saw someone posted that etch is in the works...so I'll be waiting.

Pulled out and watched my copy of "Das Boot" again last night...yeah...I'll be buying another kit...

Reply to
Rufus

Thanks - I knew about uboat.net. That's a great one. I'll have to look for the book now.

Reply to
Rufus

If the type 7 sells well, do you think there is a chance of a type 9?? After all, most of the top tonnage sinkers were type 9s.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I hope so - I'd buy at least one of those. And I'd buy a GATO if they were to do a sub series. And how about that one that Nichimo did - the Japanese one with the floatplane?..that was that one?..

Anybody got the second in the series of aftermarket decals from U.L.A.D-decal? I haven't really started doing my U-boot homework yet, but I did instantly recognize U-96's insignia in "Das Boot" from the Part 1 decal sheet. Now I AM stoked to do some rsearch. Not sure if the Part 2 sheet is out yet...anyone know?

Reply to
Rufus

that's on my found money list. you know, you get money out of the blue and it's like finding it? that way i don't feel guilty about neglecting major debts.

a 1/48 miali, (sp?) would excite me. those 2 man guys are very cool.