U-boat Snaps...

...up on ABMS. Just a couple of quick ones of where I currently stand with the decking (hole cutting complete).

Reply to
Rufus

"Rufus" skrev i en meddelelse news:5g4Ch.297816$aJ.198372@attbi_s21...

Awsome job!

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Rufus, just how big is this thing? Length etc..... How detailed is it?

Great job so far....by the way. Mike

-- What does it mean when the flag at the Post Office is flying at half-mast? They're hiring.

Reply to
Mike G.

Thanks. It's 1/72 scale, about 2.5 feet long (BTW - I have the GATO kit too, and that one makes this one look like a canoe...). The kit fits together very well, and actually can look pretty good right out of the box if you choose to build it that way. The coning tower is a model in itself.

All of the flood and limber holes are molded closed to allow omission of the detail between decks. I chose to open everything up, and got hold of the outer pressure hull kit from Yankee Modelworks. The forward section needs some modification/correction, which I just about completed last night. I should have some snaps of that up later today. I'll also be adding Eduard etched parts and scratchbuilt brass railing.

Reply to
Rufus

Thanks. Should have a few more up a bit later today.

Reply to
Rufus

Hi Rufus, what and where is ABMS ? Steve

Reply to
Steve

Another newsgroup - alt.binaries.models.scale

Reply to
Rufus

Hi, how do I view the U boat pics and send a link to them to a fellow U boat expert ? I have managed to get this ng now via news.blueyonder.co.uk but news-text.blueyonder.co.uk doesnt have it. The news.blueyonder.co.uk one was forever missing out days of postings, I see 11 posts (11 in blue against the ng name alt.binaries.models.scale ) from 24 feb to 26 and see actually 5 including two non modelling posts. Click on Hellcat and I see a picture, aha...but where are the rest.

Go to google groups and do advanced search on group alt.binaries.models.scale and author rufus and get a result set of 4 posts, the most recent being mar 2005 ! further help sought please on just how to find the u boat thread with the pics. Cheers Steve

Reply to
Steve

Interesting...I've posted 16 shots since 27 Jan 07. I know that not all newsgroup servers carry all Usenet newsgroups, and that some don't retain the posts as long as others. Most (if not all) of my recent posts have already expired from the server I use, for example. I know there's some of my older posts I'd like to retrieve and can't...

If you do a Google search on "usenet archives" you'll find many resources for retieval of posts - though most require payment. Giganews being one of the more widely known ones. You can also try looking for a free access Usenet server that carries the group, though a lot of the free ones don't typically carry the binary groups because of the storage space required for retention. (I was only able to get Google to show me one binary group...and is wasn't ABMS.)

I've been posting in-progress shots of my build, and plan to repost the entire series for folks that missed them the first time around once I complete the kit. So stay tuned...

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus, As I dont want to miss out on seeing these, and getting them over to a leading U boat expert, any chance you could post them to somewhere like

, they would love to see them, then the world could also do so without the hit/miss of an ng open to the whims and variances of telewest, even google as they dont show your posts in the searches done.

Tried again tonight but to no avail to see these. Now 2 in blue against the ng name alt.binaries.models.scale on telewest ng site so thats obviously a dead duck, ng's on that server are hopeless, moved off it years ago yet it still exists as a travesty of ng serving. It misses out days of stuff. Basically these companies are not worried as to what shows and what doesn't it would seem.

Hyperscale is another outlet where nothing would stop us seeing them then, if the models mainly plastic, think thats hyperscales theme.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes - I have considered submitting photos of the finished model to uboat.net, the Sub-Comittee, and a few sites once I complete the project. I noticed that the uboat.net gallery doesn't include any in-progress shots of models - do you think they'd be interested in such?

I usually don't frequent Hyperscale, but now that you mention it this project would be a good on to get me started there.

Just to pique the interest of folks, my plan is to build U-255 as depicted on the decal sheet from ULAD. U-255 (the "Red Fox") is a particulalry interesting boat to me because of the arctic white paint scheme - it also managed to survive the war intact, and only two of it's crew were ever wounded during service. The boat was also responsible for the sinking of in excess of 50,000 tons of Allied shipping.

Reply to
Rufus