Piston Vise drawings or plans?

Having suddenly a need to machine some pistons, I thought to make my own piston vise due to what seems the ridiculous average asking price for them, commercially. I'm somewhat surprised that there seems to be no mention anywhere I've looked about plans for making them.

Anyone ever seen any plans, or know of any available?

Sure, it's not a huge deal to sit down and do some, but after having just moved the shop, being behind on schedule already, I thought to try and save myself some time.

Best,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

"Weyland" wrote in news:1135998612.320326.135150 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

What are you going to be machining on the piston? That will determine what type of fixture you need.

Also...what type of pistons?

Reply to
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Mostly, I'll be cutting valve pockets, or clearancing existing ones more, as well as sometimes decking domes to lower compression ratios.

For the most part, these are motorcycle pistons, but I don't want to limit myself.

I've figured out how to make a rather simple type of holder for cutting the domes and ring grooves on a lathe, but still need something more quick than setting up Vee blocks, clamps, and other devices for maintaining anglular setups for the other ops I mentioned.

Best,

Weyland

Reply to
Weyland

But this isn't that complicated. Get a plate, drill a hole in it. Get some threaded rod with an eye. Through that eye goes the wrist pin (howsitcalled? the rod connecting piston and push rod). Pull piston down to plate with the threaded rod and a nut.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

"Weyland" wrote in news:1136019874.204606.55540 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Check your email.

Reply to
Anthony

| > Anyone ever seen any plans, or know of any available?

Why not bolt a three jaw chuck to your workbench and call that your piston vise?

Reply to
carl mciver