Trumpeter P-40 Tomahawk

HI Guys, Does anyone out there have this kit? How does it stack up against the Revell P-40 E of yeseryear? I am not even sure if it is an injection molded kit. Is the cockpit detail good>?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

The Trumpeter kit is an injection molded model. The Revell kit was a P-40E, the Trumpeter is a P-40B. As with most of their recent releases, the reviews of the Trumpeter models indicate that they are a pretty good representation of the real aircraft. There are a few minor complaints here and there, overdone representation of the fabric covered control surfaces being the most heard one. Most people like them though, and most agree that they are better than the Revell kits. However, I'm sure that most will also agree that the Revell kits did build up into a nice, if somewhat plain, kit.

Reply to
Paul

Thanks Paul, I appreciate it. Your right about the old Revell P-40 E. There was a lot to work with there. In the end it was a good model kit, Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

This brings up a question. I recently picked up a 1/32 Revell P-40E, looked like a new box re-issue. I was surprised at the quality of the molds. When I built one of these about 15 years ago for an Army Air Forces vet there was flash and some defects to deal with, the molds were showing their age. This last one I bought shows no signs of mold deterioration. Has Revell spent some $$ to clean up the molds??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Thats a great question. I would like to build that model again. I still have one I believe that was a classics re-issue molded in Dark olive /green plastic. Even that one I bought 20 years ago. The original one was grey. I still have an unbuilt Revell Wildcat too. They were great for their times and the Wildcat holds up well even to some of todays models. I remember that originaol box art or which you speak. It was a flying tiger angling down from right corner to lower left corner. A great painting.

Reply to
Bill Hall

Great Hobby Adventures in Des Moines has some, plus I think Squadron and Great Model Webstore got some last last week. They should be everywhere by early next week. Presumably there will be a HC rebox presumably with AVG decals but I have heard nothing about it. Usually they follow quite close to Trumpeter releases.

Just did a quick look at mine. I'd say interior is a bit simplified but I haven't checked the instructions or compared it to photos yet. If you like P40s I'm sure you'll love it, and extras will be coming soon.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

FWIW Eduard makes an etched metal detail set for the Wildcat and P-40E that help with a number of the kits omissions. They are among Eduard's more expensive efforts but will turn the models into real showpieces.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey