1:72 Fairey Delta 2

I've been making up the Maquette version of this a/c and what a nightmare!

The worst part about the kit is the undercarriage. _SO_ badly moulded it had to thrown away.

Can anyone recommend a suitable white metal set?

Trevor

Reply to
87015

If memory serves, the nose undercarriage on the two FD.2 aircraft was the same as used on the Fairey Gannet turboprop sub hunter, so you could try the Aeroclub white metal detail set for the Frog / Novo / Revell Gannet kit for that.

sure about the main gear; the FD.2s (but not the BAC.221, so if you could get hold of the white metal from the Project X kit, they wouldn't be appropriate) used a trailing lever main undercarriage leg; you may be able to convert the legs from a Buccaneer (either the Airfix or Matchbox kits, the Airwaves detail set
or the Aeroclub detail set
, but they won't be too accurate without a fair bit of work; for main wheels, the Gannet wheels look to me to be too wide and small, and the tyres too skinny, not too sure what would be an appropriate donor.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

LHA snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (87015) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The only source I can think of offhand would be the Maintrack Project-X BAC-221 kit. This is essentially a modified FD2 with the Concorde wing. Not sure if they modified the undercart for this or not. Should be close enough in any case. The kit is a vacform with white-metal details.

According to Hannants Maintrack are still around though this kit is not available any more.

A google brings up: Maintrack Models

79 Queens Road Hastings UK 01424437428

Which was the address when I last dealt with them a few years back now, though I did hear the shop was closed now.

HTH

Reply to
Peter Baxter

I just got this kit--oy vey. What a mess! At least it was cheap. I may just do it wheels up on a pedestal, if I ever get the nerve to tackle it.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I tried that kit last year...omg...not just the poor molding,but the flash and bad fit...I wound up doing it gear up,even found an original Frog stand for it. Good luck on that POS...if you manage to get it done,maybe you could post some pics.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Referring to Barrie Hygate's "British Experimental Jet Aircraft" I find the following:

Nose and main gear is completely different between FD2 and BAC221, the latter being longer and heavier.

The FD2 undercarriage was a Fairey design and specific to the aircraft, I'm afraid.

BAC221 main gear is from a Lightning. BAC221 nose gear is based on a Gannet oleo leg with the original FD2 axle and twin wheels.

Frog once did a kit of the FD2, which was later reissued by Novo; if you could find one of those, perhaps its gear may be better?

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I believe this is the geriatric Frog kit in yet another box.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Alan Dicey wrote in news:uFxWb.2213$ snipped-for-privacy@stones.force.net:

I knew there were some differences but didn't have the book to hand unfortunately :-(

This is the same kit. The tooling has deteriorated over the years so a Frog issue may be more usable.

Probably the best option is wheels up. Or get hold of some decent plans and photos and make your own...

Reply to
Peter Baxter

The moulds must have really deteriorated since the Novo renditions. The parts were nice and clean as I recall.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I haven't seen this kit in years. Is it possible to retain the wheels and rebuild the undercarriage legs with rod stock?

Two books that I know have details of the FD2: both out of print.

British Experimental Jet Aircraft by Barrie Hygate ISBN 1 85486 010 0

Project Cancelled Derek Wood Various ISBN's, depending on edition and publisher

0 71060 441 6 0 67252 166 0 1 85488 026 8

Several websites have pictures that will help:

There's a cutaway here
At Cosford
A Walkaround of WG777 at Cosford, with all the undercarriage detail you could want
Some more pics of the FD2 here

Alan Dicey

hmm, thanks guys! i was at the gate of despair on this one. rather than go and see about some white metal u/c legs that maybe out there but no one now makes.

a further root about in the spares box is called for.

one point that i missed out was that you have to make your own clear windows for the cockpit hood. fact is this kit was so annoying, that it makes the matchbox 'trench digger' look rather good!

when i get the model finished. i'll post the results up though i don't have access at the mo' for pictures.

trevor.

Reply to
87015

the latest.

i am now doing the model gear up.

the gear doors are requiring lots of filler.

trevor

Reply to
87015