1/72 figure faces...

Hello. I'm doing a pretty good job overall with my painting and detailing of

1/72 figures, but I'd like to improve the detail of their faces. Can someone refer me to a site on this, or share some tips with me? I realize because of the very small size, minimal detail is necessary. I have some thoughts on shading to achieve a good result, but thought I'd come here. I've gotten some great tips before, so it was worth my time to try. Thanks for any info or leads, and best wishes. Oh, one more thing..... I'm learning there are many discrepancies between makers of these figures. Differences ranging from quality of mold to actual size (despite all being labeled 1/72). So far I'm pretty happy with the Italeri product. I've done a lot of the German Infantry, and mold quality has been excellent. I measured them and they seem to fall into the "larger" end of 1/72, the 25mm. This is ultimately what I'm now looking to buy. Can anyone recommend some lesser-known brands of 25mm figures for ww2? I'm always on the lookout for figures in casual or non-combat poses. Again, thanks very much!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

If the faces are well-sculpted, all you need to do is apply a weak reddish brown wash to the basic fleshtone to create depth. Any attempt to add specific features like eye or mouth detail will be too much (consider--how much detail do you see on a real human face outdoors from 72 feet away?). Gerald Owens

Reply to
Lafimprov

There was a really good article in a recent Model Railroader issue about painting HO scale figures. After doing the flesh color, this guy used a pencil with a fine point to highlight the facial features such as eyes and mouth. Was simple and very effective. Hope this helps ya some. Bill

Reply to
Darkside24us

Thanks y'all. Those are some good tips to try. I've got a stash of figures I can pull from for experimenting. Best wishes.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

The best tip I can give, is that the more reknown figure artists rely on "tricks". Look for photos of pieces by Bill Horan and/or Doug Cohen (Google will provide tons of hits...). Even though they usually work in 1/32nd-ish scale, the theory is the same. Note that they really *don't* paint a whole lot of detail, but what they *do* paint is *right*; and tricks the eye into thinking there is more there.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Check out

It is really, really well done and is devoted to reviewing 1/72 scale figures. I think you will be pleased.

Reply to
SamVanga

Or subscribe to ESM 72. In eight volumes of four issues each we have listed over 3,100 figures including many sets containing many figures.

Subscription information available on request.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72