Trumpeter F-105 1/32

Hi, I just took a look a Hannants website and found that there are a lot of 'correction' sets for these kits. (fin & rudder, fuselage, resin and etched metal) Is the kit really that inaccurate? And will the plastic landing gear not carry the aircraft?...the metal landing gear is already sold out...? Ingo

Reply to
Ingo

The only thing that I would say really needs correction is the tail on the two-seater, as it is incorrect. The nose and other stuff people say needs correcting doesn't bother me, personally. For both kits, I'd really recommend the metal gear. It is a large and heavy kit, and what I've seen with the 1/48 Monogram kit, it tends to sway on the long, stalky main gear. I don't see the plastic gear holding up in the long run if you bump the table or shelf it sits on. The Black Box cockpit set is a nice improvement, but not a "must-have" in my book like the metal gear and new tail for the two-seater. HTH.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I'd have to agree about the metal gear - a "must have" for either kit, IMO. I have both the the Black Box and Verlinden resin sets for my G cockpit, but I'm now inclinded to think that between the kit parts and some Eduard etch you could build an outstanding cockpit - particularly when it comes to the seats.

I'll probably end up buying the corrected tail...though I shudder to think how much lead I'll have to put in the nose to ballast it. Not sure about the nose corrections as of yet.

Reply to
Rufus

As far as the metal gear goes, be aware of the different set available. I bought one set at Meteor's stand at the National (Scale something or other), only to come back the next day and find Aeroclub's set, which includes the front gear and replacement wheels - for the same price - at Meteor again! They were $14.99 each. To add insult to injury, there was a guy near the CAM tables selling cast BRASS landing gear for $20. These things were truly beautiful - works of art. They were also much cleaner and they have the benefit of being stronger than white metal. If I remember, I'll get his info from his business card for anyone who wants it...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

His name is Ernie Gee, and his company is G-Factor Productions, or something like that. Yes - I have a set of his gear and they are simply and truely the best ones out there. The only ones worth getting, IMO. Invesment cast brass, all three in the set. Here's a review:

Rufus

That's the fella, alright! The landing gear are the prettiest I've ever seen, well worth the $20. The other makers should stop and admit they can't come close. They're really *that* nice.

Did I mention they were nice? ;-)

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

I'll take it a step further and add that they're REALLY nice...

I also have the set of brass gear he makes for the 1/32 Trumpeter Mig-15/17 kits - one of his first efforts. I correspond with Ernie from time to time. He gets better with every one and he's got more in the pipeline...stay tuned...

Reply to
Rufus

FWIW I have been saying for a long time we need sturdier landing gear for the big 1/48 multi-engine kits like Tamiya's Lancaster and Revell/Monogram's B-17/24/29, Any of those in his plans??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Last time I asked he only mentioned an F-4 set in 1/48 (which are about the sturdiest plastic gear out there, IMO). I'll pass the suggestion...I'm not sure how he picks his subjects.

Reply to
Rufus

If you are interested in a straight one simple building report on the F-105, look here..

I made my own gear with metal rod. Enjoy modelling! Meindert

Reply to
Meindert

Like your cockpit!

Reply to