Trumpeter 1/32 F-100D

Ok...just received mine at my local meeting tonight...I like it. And I'm relieved that it's not as big as the F-105G or Su-27...but it is nice and huge.

A couple surprises I didn't expect were metal landing gear, and the engine. Yup...the engine is a kit in itself, with a complete set of photo-etched blades for the compressor rotor...which you will never see again once the model is built, but you'll know they are there, won't you?

A nice service stand for the aft fuselage is included as well, and the kit decals sheet is HUGE with options for three jets. Armament includes AIM-9B, what looks like a refueling store, and some "practice bombs" I can't recognise. Drop tanks, of course.

Nice level of detail there in the kit...but I can't wait to see what Eduard comes up with for it. Meteor is bringing me decals for "Pretty Penny". And I suppose one could finally find a use for that set of 1/32 Bullpup missiles from CAM. Life is good.

Reply to
Rufus

Shut up Rufus :-)

Both refueling probes are supposed to be there. Since I've seen the test shot, I can't wait to see the production version !

-- Chuck Ryan

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Aside from the AIM-9s, which seem to have front fins closer to the D model, but the nose of the -B, the stores in the kit are pretty uninspiring IMHO. For the centerline, you get either a MA-1 practice bomb dispenser, or a ALQ-31 ECM pod, which wasn't actually used by the F-100, but was only tested under one of NA's company test birds. For the outboard pylons, you get an ALQ-87 ECM pod (used, but rare), and a LAU-7 rocket pod, which wasn't used by the F-100 either. For common Vietnam loads like Mk. 82s, M117s, or BLU-27 napalm tanks, you'll have to rob other kits. Also, the tanks are only the early 275 gallon ones. Someone is already working on a plug to convert the tanks into the common 335 gallon ones.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Yes - it not only has both refueling probes, but it also incudes both extended and folded pitot tubes.

Reply to
Rufus

Saw a pic of a test cast of the tank correction last night - it's the whole nose plus the plug. Looks good.

Reply to
Rufus

Are the stores loads on separate trees? It sounds like they are doing a multi-aircraft stores set that will be used for different kits.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Yes. they are on seperate trees, but there doesn't seem enough here for a weapons set and some of the stuff is pretty specific. The sprues contain the wing tanks, which are only used on the F-100 (if you buy the F-100 kit, you get the tanks already), the ALQ-31 pod, which seems to have actually been only been carried by aircraft like the EA-3B and EA-6A. You also only get 1 LAU-7, 1 ALQ-87, and one practice bomb dispenser, hardly multiple quantaties like you would expect as part of a weapons set.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I don't think he meant a separate stores kit - just a universal stores sprue that could be used with different kits, maybe just by changing the tanks...

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G

No, I did mean a multi-aircraft single tree. They might have something going where they have several trees in a single accessory kit that gives you pretty much everything for all the types of aircraft they produce. I had their 1/48 "Finback" kit, and believe me that was nothing to get excited about. The detail on the stores sucked, and parts fit was terrible. It was also molded in some sort of white plastic that was immune to the effects of styrene cement. I never even finished it, as it didn't look like it was worth the effort. It seems odd that they didn't look into more aircraft specific stores for the F-100. The ECM pods seem like a very odd choice in particular. You can see these for a lot of Vietnam-era aircraft (Intruder, Thunderchief, Phantom), but they are odd choice for a F-100. You'd expect bombs, rockets, Sidewinders, and napalm, as well as alternate drop tanks would make up the stores tree. Was it Fujimi or Hasegawa that did that 1/72 F-4 a couple of decades back that had pretty much every Vietnam era weapon it carried (and at least one it didn't - the Genie nuclear AAM) included in the kit? Now that, by God, is how you do it. That ranked right up there with that decal sheet Fujimi did for the Bf-109 G/K. It's not a kit, but you just know that some version of this baby is going to end up suspended over a lot of former Phantom pilot's desks:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery