Roden 1/32 Albatros?

Has anybody bought or is building the new Roden 1/32 Albatros? Comments regarding detail and overall build quality? jim

Reply to
jimbol51

I have the kit but have not yet begun assembly. It is nicely molded with acceptably thin trailing edges and what looks like pretty realistic WW-I fabric surfaces. Cockpit detail is acceptable OOB but there's a lot or room for more details (and it's visible). I also got an Eduard etched metal detail set for it. I think, since the cockpit was not all that complicated to begin with, the Eduard set will be about all that's needed for most builders. I think the biggest challenge, as with many WW-I kits, will be the rigging.

The kit represents an Albatros with the center-mounted radiator but a couple of the decal options in the kit call for the offset radiator. If you buy the Eduard etched metal set, you're OK since that set includes both upper and lower radiator faces. You can sand off the molded on wing radiator (it's quite nicely molded, by the way) and glue the Eduard faces on in the offset position, make a new and longer radiator to engine tube, and you're good to go.

I also have the Roden SE-5A and it's equally nice.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

say bill, have you tried the trick of sewing the rigging? i tried it on an admittedly simple kit, the lindberg gladiator, but it really works well. unless you already have a tried and true system you would share?

Bill,

Who did you get the Eduard aftermarket kit from for the Albatros? jim

Reply to
jimbol51

Hi Jim. I got both the kit and the etched metal set from Squadron at the same time. The stock number for the Eduard Etched Metal set is: 32-583.

Reply to
Bill Woodier