Re: (AIR) Roden 1/32 dr1- Trumpeter 1/144 F-86 ?s

> Saw this on GMs latest list and wondered if anyone has seen the kit and/or > Trumpeter's 1/144 F-86 > TIA

FWIW I suspect this is a mis type and they meant 1/72. Sorry! I'd like a 1/32 scale DR.1 too. Supposedly Hobbycraft is pantographing down their 1/28 kit but you know how Hobbycraft's promises are.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Nope, he's right.

It is in fact 1/144th scale. I saw them on the shelf at Denbigh Hobby this past Friday.

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Not just *promises* but quality waffles worse than any politician. 1/72 P-51B didn't seem so bad but their 1/72 MiG-15 was outright UGH! Good thing the 1/32 F4F and (?)MiG 15 are Trumpeter repops.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

You should perhaps look at Rodens website.

where you will find that they do indeed intend to release a 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 - announced a week or so ago, as was the upcoming 1/72 Zepellin Staaken

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

"Charles Ryan" wrote

Roden only announced the 1/32 Dr.1 as "upcoming" about 2 weeks ago. There is no kit to see *yet*

In case you're inclined to cynicism, I'm willing to take bets that they'll have it on the market before next year is over, maybe much sooner.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

Happy, happy Joy, joy! Not just the 1/32 Dr1 but a couple 1/48 DVIIs, SE5 and more!

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

Chuck

Well, they already have 3 versions of the D.VII out, and the Viper engined SE-5a is on my workbench at the moment. All are easily the best kits of their subject.

The 1/48 Bristol Fighhter that came out a few weeks ago is also absolutley magnificent.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

Bill

IIRC they are shooting for their next group of releases end of November. With minor exceptions they usually get it right to within 6 months ;-)

Oh - I don't know *which* kits are slated for November. The new 1/72 Camels would make some small scale people very happy. Me, I'm waiting for the DH-9

They only do the Dr.1 in 1/72. i hope it's a lot more than an upscales 1/72 Roden - though it is in fact an excellent little model in it's own right

Shane (who won't buy a 1/32 kit, however good, but is happy to see others get a go from time to time)

Reply to
Shane Weier

Sorely needed! Glad not to have a vac in the pile. Really cool lozenge on that one, anybody ever see the pic of the floatplane? Yeeha!

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Check out "The German Giants" by Haddow & Grosz for a 3-view of same! I think that its doable....

The Old Timer

"The Old Timer" wrote

Or you could wait a couple of months for Roden to announce the floatplane version.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

Is that Arms & Armour Press? That's the one I don't have; probably do an ILL. It wouldn't surprise me if Roden issued the float version. I wonder what flying that monster musta been like? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

"The German Giants: The Story of the R-Planes" by G.W.Haddow & Peter M. Grosz, Pub. by Funk & Wagnalls, 1962 by arrangement with Putnam & Co. Ltd. My copy is from 1969. I've seen it on eBay from time to time running between $10.00 and $25.00, depending on how the auction is presented. There are 48 3-view drawings, and ~lots~ of photos and desctiptions.

In the words of a local car dealer, "It was HHHHUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE!"

But the one that intrigues me is the Poll Triplane. Imagine an Amerika-Bomber in 1918!

The Old Timer

FWIW THat was a totally impossible project. At the speed it cruised at the crew would have died of old age before it reached it's target. :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

where is the r plane listed?

hmmm 90mph? 11 days in the air?

And it was to be a one-way trip. The crew was to drop their bombload on Wall Street or Washington (not too clear, although Washington makes more sense to me) and head to a rendezvous point in the Atlantic to meet up with a sub that would take them back to Germany.

The Old Timer

still sounds like a long trip. must have had relief pilots and someplace to rest. i saw a picture of a wooden wheel from it and it was a monster!

I seem to remember that the plane would carry two crews, or at least a double set of pilots and navigators. Looking at the book again, the Poll was dwarfed by the Krupp-Germania seaplane. The Poll's wingspan was to be 165', but the Krupp's was a staggering 978'. Those boys thought BIG.

Another one that I liked was the Linke-Hoffman R.I, done up with a cellophane-like material, trying to make an invisible bomber. That could be interesting, an injection kit with a clear plastic fuselage.

These aircraft have always intrigued me, an old friend's grandfather was on a team at Albatros that designed an R-craft for that company, an engineer named Grohmann.

The Old Timer

so what is this new r plane kit? i need to buy that book. i do remember that cello plane. there was also a fighter, wasn't there?