1/32 scale Roden Fokker F-1

I've been thinking about this kit for a while and am wondering just how
accurate it is for the prototype, it is. I seem to remember something about
the tailplane being incorrect for the prototype but it was a while ago and
am no longer sure. Can anyone why knows about this comment or, perhaps,
point me to an accurate on-line review?
Reply to
Bill Woodier
Along the same vein, I also saw a new (at least to me) Roden 1/32 scale Albatros D-III in the latest S/S monthly flyer. I've been happy with their 1/48 scale biplanes and the 1/32 scale Dr-1 and ordered it in the blind. Now, ex poste facto, does anyone know it it's a decent kit?
Reply to
Bill Woodier
The Roden Albatros looks decent in the box, but I can't comment about the fit. There are some sinkmarks on parts, which seem to vary from kit to kit. Mine has sinkmarks on the prop near the boss and on the exhaust pipe, which seems common, but others has reported sinkmarks on other parts that are more difficult to correct. One issue is that it only builds into the early D.III with the center wing radiator and the radiator is molded into the upper wing. Unfortunately, two of the decal options are for late D.IIIs with the offset radiator (Roden even tells you this), so you can't make two of the seven options OOTB. If you were happy with the DR.1, then you'll probably be happy with this one also. Overall molding quality is similar.
Dave
Reply to
Dave Williams
FWIW The latest issue of Windsock International Magazine (Vol.22, #6) has a 6 page build up review of the kit. Overall Mr. Ray Rimmel is very complementary of the kit.
Bill Shuey
Bill Woodier wrote:
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Bill:
The kit contains two tail planes, the one with the curved leading edges should be used for all aircraft depicted by the decal sheet supplied. Where Roden got the idea that the prototype (101/17) had the straight edged tail plane is a mystery. Also, neither of these three aircraft should have the underwing skids. There was a very detailed review of the basic Roden DR.1 kit in Windsock, vol. 21, #3. If you want to order back issues of Windsock the Albatross Publications e-mail address is:
snipped-for-privacy@windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk
website:
Bill Shuey Bill Shuey
Reply to