1/32 scale Mirage III....opinions?

I see that the old Revell 1/32 Mirage has been rereleased in Europe. Anybody care to comment on the quality of this kit before I throw my $$$ down? I'm especially interested in overall accuracy when compared to the 1/48 scale Heller Mirage III. Thanks in advance for your comments, Nick V

Reply to
NGVIII

If it is the same one I bought when I was living in Houston in the early '80s. I started building it but put it aside when I found that the instruments panel was a decal, IIRC.

Also it had either ejection marks or dips on fuselage. It came with French and Swiss markings.

Reply to
Kitt

It is a very basic kit, but I have seen it built into a very impressive model. It requires a lot of scratchbuilding to get a decent cockpit. The seat is not much and as someone else pointed out, the instrument panel is a decal. That may be O.K. in 1/72 scale, but not in 1/32. I am hoping that someone will do a decent resin cockpit set now that it is being re-released. I have three sitting down in the collection. "Are you listening, Black Box"?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I got hold of one to convert into a Kfir C-2. I'd have to agree with Kitt - it's good for the conversion only because the missing detail is supplied in the conversion kit. Definately not as good as the stuff from Revell of late.

Reply to
Rufus

Regarding being OK in 1/72, wasn't this 1/32 kit reduced to make their

1/72 kit? Or was it the other way around?
Reply to
famvburg

NGVIII a exprimé avec précision :

The Revell kit is 30 years old, and to build an accurate Mirage III with it is a long and hard way : the majority of parts are wrong (fuselage, wings, etc...). I don't think it is impossible, but you need to not be afraid to scratch build a lot of important parts.

The 1/48 Heller is a kit I love, from a very long time. Accurate, fine... All I want when I build a model. But it isn't a model easy to buils : the fuselage is cut in front of the air intake to lat the choise between B version (two seater) and C versin (single seater). In the same time Heller wings profile is the only one I know so accurate. the surfaces are not engraved, and I'm sure it is the better way for the Mirage III, wich is a very smooth plane. A simple pencil line is enough to bound panels.

Regards

Reply to
Flying Frog

That I don't know. Anybody have both kits and can check the copyright or release dates?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

The 1/32 Mirage IIIE/R/S/RS was released in the U.S. in the fall of

1973. The 1/72 Mirage IIIE/R/S/RS was pantographed down from the 1/32 scale patterns and was released in the fall of 1976. As I recall, the 1/72 scale kit's markings were the same as the 1/32 kit.

Martin

Reply to
Martin