Revell 1/32 Mirage

    A poster here a couple of weeks ago said this long missing kit has been re-released in Europe. I see in Hannant's latest e-mail add that an
outfit called "Plane Bits" has released a resin and etched metal detail set for this kit. It states that the ejector seat included is a Martin Baker Mk.6. I was always of the understanding that the Mirage III were built with M-B Mk.4 seats and later upgrade versions of it as the French had purchased a production license for the Mk.4.     First question is does anyone on here have any experience with this "Plane Bits" outfit and their products? I have always maintained that the ejector seat was the biggest weakness of this kit. I have 3 Mirage III and two Mirage V kits on the shelf. My big restraint on construction has always been the hassle of having to scratch build the detailed "Bang Seats".     Second, does anyone know of a list of Mirage III/V variants and the seats installed. I would guess the Swiss upgraded the seats during mid-life overhauls on their long serving ships, and maybe the Australians too. Any information would be much appreciated. I have always considered the Mirage one of Aviation History's beauties.
                            Bill Shuey
Hi Bill,
This kit is 30 years old, and it isn't a good model : really non accurate. You know I'm a Mirage lover, and I can tell you "to buils a real Mirage with this box is quite impossible"...
I'm going to work for now, but you can call me by PM if you want and I will answer to you tonight.
Cheers
--
Chris

Chris wrote:

Chris, How about a post with your points of what is wrong with the kit exterior. I know the interior needs a major rebuild and the kit gear and gear wells need up grades.
TIA Rick Clark MFE
OXMORON1 a mis l'ide suivante :

Hi Rick,
The list of modifications to be made is very long, but to summarize:
- As you said it, the inside is totally wrong
- The fuselage, sight by top, should present a size of wasp (I do not know English expression), makes a shrinkage of it very pronounced at the back of the cockpit and which is only a little bit sketched on the kit.
- This problem provokes other one of it: to keep an almost correct length of wings in the scale, Revell had to cheat over the shape of wings, and it is really very visible.
- the cockpit isn't at its right place
- the tail is wrong
- etc...
To summarize, this kit is more an assembly) of parts rather boorishly molded, which can look like by far a Mirage III, but which, to become a true model of Mirage III requires a monstrous working sum. It is necessary almost to make everything itself.
Cheers
--
Chris

Thanks a lot. You confirmed what I thought. The decision is now "What can I live with?"
Who has the best/ most accurate plans?
Rick Clark MFE
OXMORON1 a pens trs fort :

Hi Rick, big problem : I have two really nice plans, very accurate, but my provider seems to have a lot of problems with aol users, and I can't post the 2 files to you :(
Do you have another adress please ?
--
Chris