Eduard vs Roden WWI kits?

How about Eduard vs Roden WWI aircraft kits as far as quality/accuracy
issues goes? Jim
Reply to
jimbol51
1/72 or 1/48? In 1/72, Eduard hasn't put that much stuff out yet. I hope they continue, because it's drop-dead gorgeous work. In contrast, Roden hasn't done as much in 1/48 as Eduard has.
In any case, I'd choose Eduard every time. Ease of contruction, intelligent engineering, better decals and instructions.
If you want to compare apples to apples, next time you're in a well-stocked hobby shop, ask to have open both the 1/48 Roden Fokker D.VII and the 1/48 Eduard Fokker D.VII. Eduard blows Roden away, in my opinion.
Similarly, ask to open up a 1/72 Eduard Albatros D.V and a 1/72 Roden or Toko (same kit) Albatros D.V. Again, Eduard blows Roden away.
Those are two pairs that come to mind immediately that are the same subject in the same scale. I'm sure there are many more that you could use to take the pepsi challenge.
--- Tontoni
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
You didn't mention the difference in price between Eduard and Roden. It is pretty significant on the shelves of my local shop. On the other hand, the big drop in Eduard prices in the latest Squadron flyer may be the result of the Roden competition. Personally, I'll take either one as long as it is a kit of something I want to build.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
True enough Bill; you pay more for the Eduard stuff. I have a stack of Roden/Toko now and will get to it some day. The selection in 1/72nd is a lot of fun.
--- Stephen
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
What is your opinion of the 1/8" Hasegawa WWI kits assuming one could afford one of them? Are they really worth that kind of money? Jim
Reply to
jimbol51
I've only seen the SE5a, and it's a pretty amazing museum piece. I wouldn't plunk that kind of money down on one, but they are mighty nice! That and where do you put it when done? Smiles!!
--- Tontoni
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
How do you do the rigging on those 1/72 scale kits? Trained spider??
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Cool idea! I think the guys who do 1/144 stuff do that.. I just pre-drill holes for the rigging before starting the kit. I used .96lb (don't ask the gauge; I'd have to look it up) Tippet line and attach it with CA and accelerator. It's not difficult, just tedious.
I'm pretty happy with gluing directly into the pilot holes, but some day, I'll try it with PE turnbuckles. That would really look right.
--- Stephen
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
Tippet line?? I have heard of it but never seen it. I understand it is used in fly tying. Where do you get it? All the local sporting goods stores seem to have is mono filament, and now braided mono filament.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Galyan's, Bass Pro Shops and speciaty places that cater to fly fishers.
Reply to
Ron Smith
For rigging, I've used had good luck with single strands from a discarded pair of my wife's nylons. It's actually probably a bit underscale for 1/48 as it's really pretty hard to see unless the light hits the strand just right. It's quite elastic so you can stretch it and glue it down with CA and it will never sag.
Reply to
Bill Woodier