Roden vs Eduard WWI kits?

Maybe it has been asked before, but is there much difference between the Roden and Eduard WWI kits as far as quality goes? I'm looking at the new Albatros DIII in 1/32" scale. jim

Reply to
jimbol51

For an Albatross D.III in 1/32 scale, the question is meaningless, there is only the Roden kit, or the short run kit from Battleaxe! Trust me, Roden wins hands down! As far as the various 1/48 kits go, the Eduard kits are far more complex (etched parts, some resin, etc.) and more expensive accordingly. However, I have seen the Roden kits made up to look just as good, IMHO!

Bill Shuey

jimbol51 wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

With more detail and better molding, the Eduard kits are far easier builds than the Roden kits in 1/48 and 1/72. I don't know of any Eduard kits in 1/32. Given the choice between a modern Eduard kit and any Roden kit, I'll happily reach for the Eduard.

Oh, the Eduard decals are usable; the Roden's are usually not.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Anyone seen the Roden 1/32 SE5? How long have I been waiting for that. . . .

Eduard does have more polish. I like their Weekend Kits--one decal choice, no photoetch or resin, color instructions in color on the boxlid--old school modeling. Cheap, too.

Reply to
tomcervo

tomcervo> Anyone seen the Roden 1/32 SE5? How long have I been tomcervo> waiting for that. . . .

tomcervo> Eduard does have more polish. I like their Weekend tomcervo> Kits--one decal choice, no photoetch or resin, color tomcervo> instructions in color on the boxlid--old school tomcervo> modeling. Cheap, too.

I have the Roden 1/72 W.1 which I am still building (fit is not terribly good) and the Eduard 1/48 W.1 and yes, I agree, the Eduard kit is way way better in all respects. That said, the Roden kit has very nicely detailed MGs, very thin struts between the floats, and good detail on the engine for its size (although some details differ from the Eduard details, and I had to do some adjusting and chopping here and there to get the engine to fit into the fuselage).

I haven't checked the decals yet, but since they're the German lozenge pattern, I am goign to treat them *very* carefully.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug