Has this been done

Has anyone launched a person in a rocket, Maybe in a two piece nose cone, that can split .Then the passenger can open his parachute and land. While the rocket lands under its own parachute.They look like they could be big enough to carry someone wearing skydiving gear.

Reply to
skydivertu

Yes. The US, Russia, and just recently China.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Actually, just Russia. Their initial recovery involved shooting the guy out of the capsule to recover on his own chute.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

well, we was thinking of something a bit bigger, as I don't want to bang my knees up. I think a cluster of M's might do it

Reply to
tater schuld

Don't forget Evel Knievel.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Reply to
skydivertu

You better take a close look at the g-forces you'll endure before you agree to anything.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

"Hey, y'all, watch this!"

Seriously, it's the classic engineering paradox - at a glance, with all the progress of the last century, and ready access to technology, it oughtta be cheap and easy, right? But with just a little thought, it's not long before you can think of a 1000 things that can go wrong, deadly wrong. And all those should be addressed before you push the button.

So it's both an easy task can a complex problem.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

I have a boster designed for launching people but no nose cone/seat designed. Someone design and fabricate the capsule and I'll launch it and him. Safely.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Where the "Hell" do you think you are - America? Duh, you want to take chances with your life because you feel it is your life? It is not your life - fella. It belongs to the state and you serve the state. You will buckle up and be thin as the fatherland so declares and serve the national good. Let us have no more such silliness. Your guns have been taken from you to protect you from harm. You are a child of the nation and there will be no more talk of your doing anything dangerous unless it is to serve the state.

Reply to
Arnold Roquerre

Reply to
skydivertu

Legs are not strong enough.

You NEED a seat.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jer,

Strange thing is, I believe you could do it. I'd give you about an 83% probability of succeeding. Given such a complex task, those are very good odds.

Of course, those are the same odds as Russian Roulette. Is it good enough if we all say "Yeah, Jerry, you can do it" and moved on without you actually trying it?

Please?

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

:)

The odds improve when you do a test series.

As for the voice of safety, "show me the money" is the universal equalizer.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You're damn right I'm in America, And I'm not risking shit. I d rather ride some pro builders rocket , than drive some cars down the road. I'm Mr. Safety to you. I trust my skydiving gear with my life. Its classified as an Aircraft by the FAA, And has to be maintained just like an aircraft. and has a log book , As do I, have a license, just like a pilot, Unlike some rocket launches, in which the parachute doesn't open, Mine does, every time on time. it cant fail, or I die. I know how to pack parachutes, unlike some rocket builders. But I never pack my reserve. Because I don't think I can pack it as good as I want it to be. I never used my reserve, and never had the computer fire either. I use multiple altimeters , including one that speaks to me. So I know where I'm at , when I cant see shit at 15,000 ft at

2 in the morning. Or if I wanted to take chances , I would build my own. I cant build my own rocket , because it wont be as good as I want it to be. I need someone else to do it. All I need is some altitude. 3000ft. More is better. and my heart wont skip a beat.The first thousand feet is gonna scare me to death, If it decides to go horizontal below 1000 ft. Maybe 2000, I'm dead, Nobody can react that quick, and get out under power. but that's my problem. A nice conservative launch, a real stable , straight flight. I will get out when it comes over the top.What I do when I get there has nothing to do with Rockets, And how I get there has nothing to do with skydiving. I know a few things about rockets, not enough to launch myself. A mans got to know his limitations. If I get out of the thing, with enough altitude, below
Reply to
skydivertu

Reply to
skydivertu

Well thought out comments.

Perhaps we could start a planning process and see where it leads.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Anything that would keep your legs from collapsing. A sling like the chute itself has?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well, I'm just going to suggest searching on X-prize and point you toward:

Model Rocketry, we don't fly mammals.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith