VA-22 A-7Es (again!) [Ping Kelly Voyles]

I'm just about to put the ordnance on a model of a VA-22 A-7E which was involved in Operation Praying Mantis, the 1988 retaliation against Iranian forces for the mining of the Persian Gulf and the damage to the USS Samuel B Roberts.

I know that the aircraft carried two AGM-62 Walleye PGMs on the middle wing pylons. They also carried MK-82 bombs on TERs. I'm assuming that the aircraft carried a AN/AWW-9B data link pod. The only pictures of the AN/AWW-9B that I have been able to find show it loaded on the starboard outer pylons of A-7s. Therefore, the speculative ordnance load is as follows:

Port outer: TER with two MK-82 Port middle: AGM-62 Walleye Port inner: empty Stbd inner: empty Stbd middle: AGM-62 Walleye Stbd outer: AN/AWW-9B data link pod.

There will be a single AIM-9L Sidewinder on the port cheek station.

In the absence of direct photographic evidence (that I can find), does this sound like a reasonable ordnance load for these missions?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Hi, Enzo.Kelly here. I think you might be on the right track.As I stated previously,I left 2 weeks before the action was carried out,so i didn't see the a/c loaded.However,the configuration sounds right.The only thing you need to add is an Aero-1D 300gal. drop tank to station #3(port,inner station).On "blue water ops",our a/c always carried a drop tank,making for a

Reply to
Teresa Voyles

It most certainly does! Thanks very much!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix