Leopold : DML or Trumpeter?

Anyone eyeball them both? Which is the better kit? Who would havt thought two companys would release a kit like this at the same time?......Decisions decisions..............................! Joe

Reply to
Joe Drees

I bought the DML version for two reasons: the price was lower and DML is an established name. For the $$$ I did not want surprises.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

See:

KL

"Joe Drees" wrote ...

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

All I know is that the thing is HUGE...bigger than a 1/32 F-105G, and I thought I'd seen the limit there!

Check this out on the DML kit:

This kit is DYING for some etched goodies...

Reply to
Rufus

the model was way to clean. it looks like a model beacuse of it. you're right about details, rufe, and a good coat of dirt.

I thought the coolest suggestion in that review was to build the railway base using basswood ties and O Gauge metal rails and spikes. Funny how he talked about weathering the track but left the gun relatively fresh-looking...

Reply to
Rufus

just how worn would those guns be? weren't they hidden a lot and not used all that much. I mean it wasn't dragged thru the mud. I would figure the usual grease stains, bleaching from the sun, blast burns from firing it, but not the usual stuff you see in armor. I'm guessing a clean, somewhat unweathered gun would be ok.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

yeah, i bet it wasn't that clean even coming from krupp. grease, oil, etc....

maybe not huge weathering, but grime, dirt, grease. they were pulled behind coal burning locos, that makes cars and stock really dirty.

thx for that train info. helps a lot re weathering. I was just referring to the elements. Never thought of the transport issues. Now if Trumpeter would make a 1/35 locomotive we would really have something.....

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Craig wrote: : : Now if Trumpeter would make a 1/35 locomotive we would really have : something..... : Baluard makes the proper diesel locomotive used be the Wehrmacht to move the K5(e) around the front. CMK makes a BR 52 class locomotive that would be used to move the piece in the "rear/home areas". However, I am thinking you need the Reichbahn equivalent of Pullmans, for the crew.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

e wrote: : : maybe not huge weathering, but grime, dirt, grease. : they were pulled behind coal burning locos, that makes : cars and stock really dirty. : Photos of Reichbahn equipment that I have seen shows that the stock was kept quite clean, in particular the reporting marks.

It isn't inconcieveable that there were a few miles of tarps that coved the gun when it was being moved - precicely to keep the cinders off the piece.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

i suspect they used standard passenger cars.

knowing the german military mind slightly, i would agree. i just think the model is too pristine.

I'm thinking it should at least be as dirty as any rail car...in wartime...and I'm not sure how (or how often) you'd clean a gun like that after firing.

Reply to
Rufus

Dang...talk about a HUGE display...

Reply to
Rufus

Or cattle cars...or whatever they could conscript as required.

Reply to
Rufus

That's what mantles are for!

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I was saving mine for the dream of a 1/32 scratchbuilt U-boat, but...this sounds interesting, too.

But at 3+ foot for the gun alone...I'm gonna need a wider fireplace...

Reply to
Rufus

Having been a Gunner...

The damn things are always kept immaculate! Sacks of cotton waste and rag and lots of wiping down between fire missions.

Well, in the British Army anyway, but I shouldn't imagine German Gunners were any different.

After all, we Gunners brought/bring a touch of "class" to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl!

Chris

"Take Post!!"

Reply to
Chris Hughes