Revell 1/32nd Tomcat question

Been thinking of breaking out of the 1/48 ranks and relive some of those bygone days when I first built the big 1/32 Revells. Been fighting the urge but tonight I spotted the Revell Tomcat for $40 at Hobby Lobby. Is it worth the $20 after the discount or should I hold out for something from Tamiyagawa?

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I think it's worth $20. Especially considering that a Hasegawa or Fujimi 1/72 scale Tomcat will set you back more than $20 ;^)

In all seriousness, not too bad a kit. When it first came out, its main competition was the Tamiya Tomcat. There were few complaints about the Revell kit compared to the Tamiya kit. Tamiya's Tomcat sold for something like $70 while Revell's was around $15. Folks were saying that you didn't get proportionaly more in the Tamiya kit for the price compared to the Revell kit. That said, I recall hearing that Tamiya did improve their Tomcat mold eventually. The Tamiya Tomcat was also one of the first "really expensive" aircraft kits when it was released in the early '80s.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

Tamiya never really improved their 1/32 Tomcat much over the years. The two main problems with the kit (decals for the cockpit and raised panel lines on the rear half of the plane/recessed on the front half) still exist today. The subsequent boxings mianly just added new ordnance and changed some things like the gun gas vents, ECM bumps, and the beavertail to make a "late" -A model. The only part they "improved" was the exhausts in the 1994 boxing, but they aren't that much different from the original ones, IMHO. The latest "Black Knights" boxing represents close to the final F-14A configuration, with the LANTIRN pod, BOL rails, and LGBs, but it's still basically the same old kit.

While the Tamiya kit is much better detailed overall (except the cockpit), it's tough to justify the vast cost differential if you can get the Revell kit for only $20.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I've built one of the Revell kits, have another on the bench, and also have two Tamiya ones...so my anwser is "it depends"...

The Revell kit can be built into a reall nice looking model...with a lot of help from the aftermarket - namely, the Tecknics cockpit kit - and a ton of scratch building; mostly on the landing gear. Where the Tamiya kit really stands out from the Revell is in the landing gear and ordnance. You'll still need/want the Tecknics cockpit, which is made for the Tamiya kit, but can be fit to the Revell with a bit of trickery. Otherwise, Eduard has some nice cockpit etch.

Either way you go, be prepared to spend a lot of money on extras if you're into doing that, and maybe even if you're not. If this is your first venture into the big scales, be warned that alot of things that don't show or aren't visible in the smaller scales will stand out like sore thumbs in 1/32...so you may find yourself collecting add-ons just to please you own asthetic. There's a ton of stuff out there for the big Toms - decals, cockpit, stores, etch, etc. I thought I could save money by building a second Revell kit, but after adding up the goodies I've bought the cost has been pretty much the same to produce a similar model.

To date, my two Revell F-14As represent the largest investments in finished kits on my shelves...not counting some unfinished ones in my stash...I think my 1/32 Trumpeter TBF and/or my Academy F/A-18s are going to top them.

Reply to
Rufus

Actually, the only improvements in the newer Tamiya Tomcat kits are a set of newly molded nozzles with better detail on the interior (though they still give you the old set, so you get four sets total) and the additional ordnance in the newest version.

They still carry the same mix of engraved and raised panel lines, and decals for cockpit detail. But the landing gear is far and away the best feature over the Revell one.

Reply to
Rufus

Agreed. The kit can be built into a nice Tomcat with a few tricks. I'm doing my second one, though I doubt I'll do any more...I have two Tamiya ones in waiting...and want a third. Any way you go you can end up EASILY spending well over $100 on the finished effort if you like all the goodies and don't build OOB.

Reply to
Rufus

That was actually going to be my next question - what was it going to take to bring it up to snuff. My gut told me what I saved in money upfront was going to be more than offset in labor and accys on the backside. That kind of helped me pass on it for now in favor of one of the Dragon King Tigers.

Thx for the info. I still see myself picking up one of those big cats one day, if for no other reason than a supply of of parts for one of my custom sci fi builds I get into every so often.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I'd seriously recommend the newest Bombcat one from Tamiya - the Black Lions one. It's got a lot of ords which will nicely fill your parts box, and will build into a VERY nice looking Tomcat for the least money if you don't wish to spend on the whole gamut. For instance, you could forgo the Tecknics cockpit for the Eduard cockpit etch and save about half the cost over the resin - and the kit seats look great...add some Waldron buckles and your own straps and you'll get a very nice result. CAM has the best line on F-14A decals, IMO.

Just to pique your interest, I can post some pics of my first Revell F-14A over on a.b.m.s, if you'd like to see my first try at one. I think it was good practice, as my second one is coming out nicer. By the time I get to my Tamiya ones, maybe I'll have it right...

Reply to
Rufus

I liked the Revell Tomcat and with some extra work, nice results can be achieved. It's up to the modeller to decide if he wants to use after market sets, but I just did some detailling and a little scratch building.

Check it out, through a building report here...

Have fun! Meindert

Reply to
Meindert

Don't sell yourself short...you did a LOT of work....;)

But I like the kit, too. I've done one, and have another on the bench right now...I can post a pic or two of my first one on a.b.m.s if you'd like a peek.

Reply to
Rufus