What are your two bigest modelling purchase screw ups?

Just to start out a new thread and get the whole modelling thing going...
What are the two biggest purchase f'ups you've ever done?
First, what is the worst purchase you've ever made, _NOT_ based on the quality of the kit, but because you just plain weren't thinking! This can be anything from not putting a decimal point in your Ebay bid, to buying something rare only to find out that it's _JUST_ been announced for release (or re-release).
Second, what is the one purchase you most regret _NOT_ making? This can be anything from having the guy in front of you at the hobby shop grab the last of a kit on the shelf before you do, to seeing a bazillion of a kit laying around in stores for pennies and never buying one and after they've sold out you get a hankering to build one and can only find them for $$$$$.
Here's mine: My worst screw up to date was buying the old Revell F-4 Thunderbirds display set. I hated it as a kid, the decals suck, the fit is horrible, the detail is non-exi- stant, but I paid $35 including shipping for one. _DOH_! And I knew all fo this when I bought it, why was I so stupid!?!
My biggest regret is not stocking up on the Matchbox kits when Kay-Bee toys was selling them out. A Lancaster for $2, a Halifax or Stranraer for $2.50! And those damned Robotech kits, one of them is currently selling for ~$90 US! ARGH! I could kick my ass over that stuff...
What do you folks have to say?
"What do you want you moon faced assasin of joy!" -Amb. Londo Molare
I really couldn't afford it at the time, (when they were released) but I passed up two Revell Mace/Teracruzers for about $35 each, roughly. DAMM! One to sell and one to build!
--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms, CA USA

I bought a bunch of those Matchbox, Revell History Makers, Revell ex-Renwal armor and Robotech kits when Kay Bee Toys stopped selling models in the mid 80s. Most of them were built, badly, in my college days, but I enjoyed myself. That's what I bought them for.
Best buy was an old Aurora kit of an M109 howitzer stuffed in a white cardboard box from some mail order club. Jammed inside with the M109 was a complete Aurora MBT70 kit. The M109 was missing a wheel hub (very minor part) and I paid $5 for the lot (early 90s, pre-eBay)
Worse non-purchase #1: See first sentence. When I purchased the Revell ex-Renwal kits, I only grabbed one M50 Ontos and one Military Wrecker. Now those kits go for extreme bucks on eBay.
Worse non-purchase #2: When I was in college, the local Toys R Us had a bunch of the Dune models by Revell on clearance. I only purchased the Ornithopter (sp?). Should have bought the whole lot of them, but lack of funds drove that decision.
Drew Hill wrote:

When did you make this purchase? Prior to the mid-80's....this was an outstanding way to get several sets of thin F-4 thin wings; to make your F-4B/N models. So, in the days of yore...this was a *good* purchase.

--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare 10.0
Drew Hill wrote:

    Both of mine occurred at modeling contests/shows. The first was nearing the end of the day, I happened across a vendor who was getting ready to shut down. I was hankering for a German fighter in 1/32nd scale and he had a Hasegawa (109 or 190, I don't recall) and a Revell FW 190. I went with the Revell... Between the two, I made an awful choice.
    The other was at a Regional in Baltimore, IIRC. A vendor had the then-newer AMT Tigercat and I was champing at the bit to get one. In the box above it was a Hasegawa SH-3 in Japanese markings. I only had enough money for one and lamented my decision. The vendor seized on this and offered the SH-3 for $25 - the amount in my pocket. I persisted with the Tigercat. "Does the SH-3 come with US markings?" I asked... "I dunno." was the response. Down to $20 for the helo. The Tigercat was priced around $16. Off I went, only to return and wrestle with my decision again. The guy was getting flustered with my inability to choose. Down to $15 for the helo now!      I chose the Tigercat...
    I'm with Mark Levine - buy it today for tomorrow, you won't be able to find it...
Frank Kranick

1. not buying kits for almost 30 years. 2. paying $10 for a lindberg do335. yeah, i know i haven't made any REAL bonehead moves, but give me a chance.

The fourth 1:72 B-52. OK, so I didn't regret it, it was only a tenner, but I don't have room for one made up, let alone four. Same goes for the fourth 1:72 Bear, etc.

Two here: 1) Not buying the OK models B-52 conversion with the YB-52 option when I could have. Ten pounds each for that or a Mach 2 B-45 Tornado. Should have bought both.
2) Not using Hobbylink Japan earlier, and not pre-ordering when I did. The JASDF 50th anniversary limited edition kits seem to sell like the proverbial hot cakes, but although I've got most of the ones released so far, I missed out on the Hamamatsu T-4 kit, and I doubt it'll turn up in this part of the world.
Jon.
Drew Hill wrote:

Biggest regret - not buying one of the 1/12 scale Tamiya Lola T70 kits that Al's Hobby had...
Worst screw up - buying any Italleri kit.
--
- Rufus

I passed on getting a 2nd Heller Victory (1:100) for $36 when Model Expo closed out their plastic model line, and again a couple years ago when they had the Heller Cape Horn ship model. They sold out and never got any more back in. Damned things are 3x the Model Expo price when you can find them. John
Drew Hill wrote:

After a 25+year absence, I returned to the hobby a year ago. I got a little hobby lobby half off fever and bought the Academy 1/32 Hornet at half price. I then purchased the photo etch stuff to go with it. Now it sits in the cornor, unopened. Between a full time job and the reality that my skills are still a little rusty not to mention I have never touched any photo etch parts, I am no where near being ready to attack this monster project.
I am working on smaller projects so that I can get the satisfaction of completing a decent project in a reasonable amount of time. That way, I won't get frustrated and quit the hobby again. ( I should sell that bugger.)
The best purchase...... Before I quit the hobby, I purchased and still have in the original shrink wrap 3 Pocher Auto Kits, a Westinghouse Atomic Power Plant, and a few rare assorted Mopar kits long since discontinued.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Ummm. Would you believe all of these kits have all been reissued and would you sell them to me for $30 plus shipping? :-)
If you do, please don't forget to send a new post to this thread. ;)
Kaliste Saloom (IPMS #30703) Lafayette, LA
Now......Now.....I was born at night but not last night. :-)
I actually got the Pocher kits at a Kmart many years ago for a very low price. How they got them I will never know. It must have been some kind of liquidation. I was tempted to sell this collection more than once over the years but am very thankful I didn't. Altogether I have about 50 kits from this era. It's a little sad that they will probably never be opened and built.
unimodeler wrote:

Did that myself..sort of. Got a 1/35 Tamiya Flak 88 for $5 at a K-mart as a teenager...I already had two built, but for $5...
Still have it, unbuilt and in the box.
...ditto on a brand new Badger 200 that I got for $20 at a shop that was going OOB as I was passing through.
--
- Rufus

was glad to get rid of my Victory. what was I thinking when I bought a kit with 300 parts and a million miles of rigging.....geez, I can't even finish a kit with 100 pieces...
Craig
was glad to get rid of my Victory. what was I thinking when I bought a kit with 3000 parts and a million miles of rigging.....geez, I can't even finish a kit with 100 pieces...
Craig
Worst screw-up in commission was to buy more Merlin kits after the first two I bought looked like moist lumps barely resembling the subject matter. I finally learned that there is a minimum acceptable quality below which I should not go, no matter the subject matter (and all but one of those subjects has since been done better by MPM, Huma, Aeroclub, etc.)
Worst screw-up in omission was to let all those cool Contrail subjects go by the board (although they're all tough builds, so maybe that's not that much of an omission, but I still hear whispers "Lat 631...Lat 631...")
Mark Schynert
Screw-ups:
Bought a 1/48 Heller F-84F thinking it was a new mold.
Bought several rare Revell 1/72 P1Y1 Gingas and Helens. Hasegawa released their kits shortly thereafter.
Regreted purchases:
At first model show I attended after starting back into the hobby I picked up a $30 Revell 1/32 George at a vendor table and asked the guy standing behind me what kind of kit it was. "Old kit, obsolete by modern standards." I put the kit down , but out of the corner of my eye I saw the same guy grab the kit and almost tear a hole in his pocket reaching for his wallet. I knew I'd made a big mistake.
At the same show, the first vendor table I came to had a stack of shrinkwrapped Trimaster kits - almost every kit they made - for $10 each. I thought they were nice but passed on them.
Art

Drew Hill wrote:

Not sure if this qualifies, but I'm forever being suckered (or almost suckered), into buying kits with nice boxtop artwork.
Shigeo is the usual artist I get suckered by. Prime example: the Fujimi Fw 190 1:48, beautiful artwork, kit not so good (esp when compared to the existing (at the time) Dragon kits.
--

Regards

Don Watters

That would be my vice too.. and yes, I have that Fw 190 kit in my stash too.
WmB