Hy-Flo air pump overhaul

Hi,

I've purchased a vintage Medcalf Bros. Hy-Flo pump off eBay and I plan to strip it down completely and overhaul it.

I've extracted the two pistons, they are about 12mm diameter and not 'butted' - it's a 12mm wide piston all the way. The bottom of the piston seems to be soldered over although it is solid at the top where the hole for the crank is drilled through. I'll probably have a go at removing / replacing the solder with a blowtorch.

There's a 3mm hole in the side of the piston for an oilway which seems to connect up to the crank bearing hole. Inside I can feel with a thin screwdriver that the piston wall at the side is maybe only 1.5mm thick. It's full of cack which seems to be blocking it up.

My question is, do you think this cack is just old hardened oil, or would it originally have been something which maybe helps the oil to whick up between the cylinder and the crank? If the latter, I'll have to replace it with something after I've cleaned it.

Also any tips on solvents or techniques to use to strip hard baked on oil would be appreciated.

It's a beautifully made old thing and I'm looking forward to getting it looking and running good again.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Evans

Nitromors paint stripper works well on all that burnt on crap

Even does a decoke without the nead for wire brushes.

Just a toothbrush used here.

all the best..mark

Reply to
mark

Great pictures. I'll give that a try, I think I've got some Nitromors in the shed somewhere.

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
evans.jon

To Jon Evans (or anyone else who might be able to help!)

I was wondering how much joy you've had restoring your Hy Flo. I as because I recently acquired one which needs a bit of an overhaul. I needs cleaning and oiling, but the biggest problem is that it doesn' seem to be pumping out much air. My main motivation for buying it wa silent aeration of my fish tank, but the fact it's such a beautifu item of kit is a bonus!

Having no knowledge in these areas, I'm looking for someone who migh have a idea how to sort out this problem (or at least let me know it' a hopeless case).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

-- Taffhamste

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Taffhamster's Profile:

this thread:

Taffhamster

Job done, I completely stripped it down and rebuilt it. I've put some photos online here:

I still don't use it however - it's not as quiet as one is lead to believe, and it also runs quite hot. I'd be interested in finding out if that's normal.

Jon

Reply to
evans.jon

i am in uk and have found a very good web link for these pumps. they really are quiet when running, and simply awesome to watch.

they do run very hot, thats normal, there is a link on the page for the original instructions sheet.

i do hope this thread can be relived because i am also rebuilding the pump i have here and would be very interested in the rebuild of the actual pumps.

thanks

Reply to
dazzer_up_nort

In article , dazzer_up_nort writes

Always very suspicious when a site describes its wares as "collectors' items" and does not give prices.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

cnt disagree about the "special" nature of the site, but its got the instructions for free. and should you need them, spares avaialable......

didnt actually say go and spend all your money did i???

Reply to
dazzer_up_nort

Hi all been doing a bit of tidying in the loft and came across my Hy flo model C. I actualy had to order it made by metcalf bros and it cost a fortune £200+ back in 1987, its had realativly little use and I can confirm that they do run hot due to the type of motor ( it works the same as an electric meter inducing eddy currents in the disk ) so draws the same current even if stalled. As you have all seen they are a marvel to watch, I first fell in love with them at school back in the stone age. they had several in the science labs running various things. Now I have unearthed it I feel that a good clean and check is in order. Thanks for this thread as I now know where to seek parts.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
sparky537

Which thread would that be then?

More of rcgroups nonsense?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Oops.Just a rather old thread :-(

PS, they are relaxing in an over-heated sort of way...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hi guys. I have two of the Hy-flo air pumps. One is a single piston type and the other I have just bought is the double piston type. I am currently overhauling the double piston pump and using spirit based brake degreaser to clean out the pistons. I'd advise using caution when cleaning the pistons as when you have fluid inside them and you move the piston rod, you will get a face full of the fluid shot at you, hehe. I found this out as I was working, doh! As another member has said, I am aiming to remove the upper piston cylinder seal to replace it as the hole has worn larger and is leaking air.

Reply to
leatherworker

Just tried de-soldering the piston, DON'T. I found out that the piston itself although made of brass, is coated in some kind of plastic layer to reduce friction and therefore melts when you try to desolder the seals on the cylinder. There is also a seal surrounding the piston rod as it passes though the upper part of the cylinder. This of course means I have trashed one of the pumps, great!I will try to get another set of pistons somewhere, maybe Metcalfs?

Reply to
leatherworker

It doesn't help to resurrect a three year old thread that, itself, was resurrected nearly two years ago.

Start a new one If you expect people to know what you are talking about.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hi would you be willing to sell the electrical parts on your knackered pump … I have one that had been submerged in water for a number of years … I’ve got the mechanical side running beautifully but no power at all to the motor

Reply to
Briggsy67