Double opposed cone bearings

Hello All, I wish to renovate an old George Adams 2 1/2 " lathe. One of the previous owners has ruined the mandrel by radially drilling the nose end.A broken tap is visible in the hole. Sadly this is not the only damage. The other end of the mandrel has obviously been walloped with a hammer and a file has been used to allow admittance of the loose cone. I think the mandrel is way beyond repair. This brings me to my question. How do you machine a double opposed cone bearing? I think I could manage the problem if only a single shallow taper were involved. But bringing two tapers to size if frankly beyond my limited skills. Any ideas?

regards, tim.

Reply to
tim