Low Power Estes Slow Motion Launch Vids

Some of you might find these interesting. :)

Dan Cox

He must be getting lonely over there on TRF 2.0 all by himself. So he comes over here to post in a feeble attempt to draw people over there......LOL. So pathetic.

You're still a hypocrite and a joke, Dan. TRF 2.0 is a miserable failure and a POS.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

snip

All of the other stuff aside, considering the low light levels and high speed of a small rocket leaving the pad, those are some pretty neat videos. No blurs, no jerking motion, and plenty bright. No doubt an awesome camera.

Randy

<randyolb

Thanks, Randy. I plan on filming with an even higher speed camera soon and getting even more frames of flame so to speak for some even better video! The reason I host the videos on my forum site is because I get a huge amount of bandwidth and drive space, and I don't see any reason to let it go to waste.

Reply to
Dan Cox

Just as well. You don't have any content to use the bandwidth and drivespace on...LOL

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Many good people left when a bunch of complete punks(who were actually 'adults') who never grew up or learned any manners, chose to make it their personal pissing ground. For some reason they thought they should have been allowed to do that although that was never the intent. It seems with forums of any type people don't understand the grey area, or rather a select few don't. There is a midway point between excessive moderation and no moderation and a few thought that TIRF was a place with no moderation whatsoever. In that they are, and always were, wrong. I would never have spent money or invested as much time as I have in something if I was just going to let a bunch of complete asses ruin it. Well the asses did ruin it. They succeeded in scaring or bullying off as many people as possible and then leaving the forum, or getting themselves banned.

We do however still have active members and the retailers post updates occaisionally.

Dan Cox

Let's just set the record straight...

Your claimed reason for starting the forum was because you claimed the moderation on TRF was overzealous. There was discussion of that fact initially, and very soon after you started the forum, you felt the need to announce a moderator.

Your moderator also happened to be a dual identity of a vendor, who used his moderator ID to take swipes at another vendor; something he didn't have the guts to do under his own ID.

Your moderator also started a pissing match with someone, as well as creating an ID to post incredibly profane and nasty comments about that same person on the N3 forums.

When it was pointed out to you what your moderator was up to, you denied it. It took two people providing you evidence you couldn't ignore before you begrudgingly, half-way admitted what your moderator had done. Then, rather than truly apologize to the people, you continue to blame it on those who were wronged by your moderator.

Since then, there have been numerous threads on your own forum discussing this, as well as your hypocracy. Every one magically disappears and the person who's involved gets banned.

So, Dan, it appears that you've decided to go for the "hide anything critical of me" approach to moderation, yet at the same time, you're the one who spent lots of time badmouthing TRF for moderation.

As for bullying, the ONLY ones who engaged in that were you and your moderator.

"Hypocracy" is what it's called, and it's why your forum is dead. You're still continuing to blame others for what you yourself did.

I also have to laugh at the "invested as much time as I have" comment. You grabbed freely available software and spent a little bit of time installing it. It's hardly time-consuming or difficult to do; don't martyr yourself over running a couple of install scripts.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski
*SNIP*

  1. Forum opens, with intent to be less moderated than TRF.

  2. A few youngsters from TRF caused a lot of headaches early on simply because they felt loyal to TRF and thought I was 'dissin' it in some way. To make the kiddiez go away I decided to change the name to TIRF as opposed to TRF 2.0 Phillip, an owner of TRF also wanted me to change it, pressuring the host didn't work and threatening me with perhaps legal action didn't work either since A. TRF doesn't generate revenue and therefore couldn't show any loss of income due to my similiarly named site, and B. The TRF owners do not have a trademark on the phrase The Rocketry Forum. I decided though that since no one got the joke and to get rid of the kiddiez who were being a pain,, and to be a good neighbor in general,, I changed the name. I thought it was the mature thing to do. Phillip accepted this and that was over with. I still owned the domain therocketryforum.com as opposed to rocketryforum which is and always has been TRF's domain. Why TRF never registered their name I have no idea.

  1. Smooth sailing for about 1.5 months. Moderator was brought on after about 4 weeeks when membership hit about 100

  2. One of the growing groups of people that had joined the forum included an individual who was always trying to pick fights with people and cause problems. The thing about the vendor bashing is really a seperate issue and I told my moderator to cool it with regards to that. I wasn't going to take sides in the vendor issue.

  1. The guy who was trying to pick fights got banned. None of his buddies could understand why he was banned even though it was obvious to everyone else that was active at that time, at least those not in said persons clique. The same group also edited all of their own posts to make it look like something screwy was going on with the site(Gibberish being posted in place of original posts). I thought it had been hacked, which again due to me being on dialup took 7 #@% hours to restore from backup. When I found out these people had done it, their credibility went even more in the hole.

  2. Banned guy starts new forum where you can swear like a sailor and generally sound like a complete fool. That's fine, I was glad to see it open up,, that way we had three rocketry forums, TRF for mega moderation, TIRF for moderate moderation and newtons3rd for no moderation.

  1. Someone posted some of the most awful crap you'd ever NOT want to see over at newtons3rd. The poster had the IP of my moderator so everyone at newtons 3rd knew it had to be him using a different nickname. At first I was shocked and was going to remove him until I looked at my own sites IP logs. The IP log showed that the person who had been banned from my site and started newtons3rd had also posted on my site apparently with my moderators IP comcast address. The same address that was used to post the awful material. This made me question the legitimacy of the complaint.

  2. A whole lotta hate went on at this point between my moderator and the group of people who started newtons3rd..the whole time I'm trying to figure out how the guy I know to be an ass could have posted on my site with my moderators IP address. That was always the sticking point for me. How could I believe someone who I knew to be a jerk against what I had known of my moderator who up until now had been a great guy?. How could the person who had been banned be using my moderators IP to post on my site? This made me think that either he or someone else was using the same IP to make phony posts at newtons3rd to 'setup' my moderator.

Also during this time I was also called at home by the guy who was banned which is something you simply do not do if you have a disagreement with someone over the net. Although he did not leave hateful messages with me he did apparently at my moderators telephone number, who incidentally has a wife and children. It's a big legal deal. If it continued my moderator and myself would have had to get a restraining order, involve the authorites ad nauseam because you just don't leave threatening messages(I was not threatened, my mod apparently was) across state lines, let alone in your own state... but I knew it wouldn't continue beacuse he basically made his point and that was that. The fact that this person had called both of us at home made me seriously question the kind of person I was dealing with. Remember at this point it was not proven that my moderator had done anything wrong beyond a doubt.

  1. The guy who had been banned, made the phone calls etc 'AlexNUMB' and his friend the admin at newtons3rd finally figured it out. We exchanged emails about this a few times and I replicated on my site exactly what they had figured out on theirs....because frankly they wanted the answer as much as I. Why was my moderator's IP address being shown as belonging at times to Alex on MY forum?

  1. Turned out that anytime a user is banned/removed from the forum that his IP address gets dumped into the global Guest account IP logfile. This means that my moderator had apparently posted as a guest before or as another userid on my forum and when the account went away or when I disabled guest accounts then his IP got dumped into the Guest account IP logfile. This made it look like Alex was using his address. Once this was shown to me and once I replicated it by making postings under a newid, removing that ID and then checking the guest acount logfile, that cinched it.

  2. Moderator was removed. I never accused him outright and I won't today. Everyone knows what happened anyway. Suffice to say we went in seperate directions. I'm only posting this additional information here now to perhaps move beyond this mess.

  1. There's been a few postings recently trying to bash me, saying I'm a hypocrite because I moderate TIRF. I gave up trying to explain this to people quite awhile back and have no tolerance for it anymore. I don't allow personal attacks on tirf, I never have. At first I let people bash me for starting TIRF all they wanted to and their posts usually got left up or went to the Recyle Bin which was a way for people to review why things had been deleted. So anway there are still people who don't understand what TIRF was meant to be. They had their vision and I had mine and we were both on different wavelengths apparently. It was never meant to be a zero moderation site.

There are quite a few people who have found TRF to be unfriendly, snobbish, cold to some vendors who aren't part of the gang etc, a bunch of knowitalls etc. Many of them joined my site. Unfortunately before much useful content could be posted it all went to hell for the reasons above. I have come to one primary conclusion in all of this. People understand two kinds of moderation. Moderation and NO moderation. If you say you have Grey Area moderation(I don't know who coined that term but it fits) then when you do moderate, those that thought you wouldn't, hate your guts and turn on you. TIRF is at this point a failure. We have a few postings but it's only a little more active than the rocketry forum on rcgroups.com at this point,, which isn't saying much.

I may let TIRF continue for another year or I made shut it down tomorrow morning. You never know because right now it's not justifying it's existence to the community or to it's own expense. It's been a social experiment of sorts, one filled with stress, disappointment and embarassment. To even those on the other side, this history should be acceptable because it really tells the whole story.

PS Anything involving TIRF is probably going to end up in the RMR ignore list right up there with Glue, Moon Landings, JI etc. So be it. ;)

Reply to
Dan Cox
[...]

Except that you allowed your moderator's posts, taking very nasty swipes at another vendor, to stand, thereby taking sides. All the while, you knew the your vendor was doing it anonymously, hiding behind his moderator ID, all the while having his second, public ID under his normal name.

You banned him, you deleted his posts, but left the personal attacks against him on your forum, again taking sides.

Yet you're more than willing to publicly take swipes at Alex. But, you dodge anything regarding your moderator (K-37 Scrambler on your forum, Uncle Mike elsewhere).

At the time, you also posted that the moderator was removed AT HIS REQUEST. He was pulling stuff, blaming someone else for it, you removed folks who protested his behavior, but left it up to him whether or not to leave.

Gee, Dan, I've read lots of stuff wherein people disagree with you. None of it was nasty, or a "personal attack". Yet the people get banned and their posts deleted. That sounds more like you can't stand anyone who dares disagree with you.

And you've run it in direct contradiction of your originally stated purposes. You've moderated the bejeezus out of it, any time someone dared disagree with you.

You imply you only moderate personal attacks, yet my post stating that I didn't care to have anything to do with your moderator, for his behavior in attacking another vendor (which, apparently, was something you KNEW he was doing anonymously) was deleted. I still have the post, I know what I said.

You also left out that your moderator posted some EXTREMELY nasty stuff about the guy who got banned, and even after that person was gone, continued to try to pick a fight with him. All the while telling you how innocent he was, and you swallowing every bit of it.

With a DEFINITE "poor me, I didn't do anything" spin, and therein lies the reason why your forum is dead, Dan.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I registered on TIRF using an email account I created about a year ago but never used for anything. Suddenly after a year of never getting any spam, I start getting spammed on that email account. What is the deal with that?

Reply to
Me

It was probably harvested by a bot. The email address is visible to anyone on the net unless you sepecified in the options to disable that. I got a lot of spam when I opened the site from the same problem. I could even see the bots in the site statistics logs.

The site's closed now though as of tonight. So, maybe your spam will cut down. Dan

Reply to
Dan Cox

Before I let this die I have one comment.

  1. Banned guy starts new forum where you can swear like a sailor and generally sound like a complete fool. That's fine, I was glad to see it open up,, that way we had three rocketry forums, TRF for mega moderation, TIRF for moderate moderation and newtons3rd for no moderation.

"Banned Guy" DID NOT start a new forum I did (Mike Roland owner of Newton's 3rd Rocketry), I did so because I figured that there was room for an area where even though someones opinions may bother you they have the right to state it and you have the right to reply or ignore without being banned. Yes you can "sound like a fool" or "cuss like a sailor" if you feel the need.

I at no time entered into the argument until the ex-moderator came to our site to see if he could get banned, he didnt, but he got flamed so badly he asked to have his messages an ID removed once he was identified.

I may strongly disagree with ones opinions or even the way they present themselves but being the overseer is not my job. The forum belongs to the users not me.

Sorry to see the site disappear as you said there is room for all.

You are cordially invited to stop in and visit Dan, we welcome everyone....

Reply to
N3

Although it does not matter at this point because the question of identity was proven to me without a doubt by solving the guest account IP log issue, it is interesting to note the person in question asked for his account and messages to be removed from your forum once found out. I did not know that. Someone posting spew anonymously using a different ID would not bother to ask that favor.

Reply to
Dan Cox

What kind of camera did you use for the previous videos, and what kind are you planning to use?=20

=DC

Reply to
raydunakin

the net unless you sepecified in the options to

problem. I could even see the bots in the site statistics

I suppose it's my fault, for not checking carefully enough. I "assumed" everyone on this planet knew enough about spam and email address protection not to do something like that.

Yep, I bet my address magically disappeared from every spammer's email database the moment the site closed. Just like Paris Hilton's video ceased to exist when she turned off her PC.

(shakes head, rolls eyes, bangs head on desk....)

Reply to
Me

the net unless you sepecified in the options to

problem. I could even see the bots in the site statistics

Well personally I don't see the big deal about spam. I get about 20 or

30 messages a day but I just delete them. I used to have filters set up but sometimes things I want got filtered. If people would quit buying enhancement drugs and cheap watches then the spam would go away :)
Reply to
Dan Cox

'Well personally I don't see the big deal about spam'

Your kidding, right?

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

What about his kidding???

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Please don't poke at posters without providing the link.

-Fred Shecter

shreadvector