Hurco Power Supply Needed

Hi all -
The logic power supply for our Hurco KM3 has gone face down in the mashed potatoes. Nothing is smoked and fixing these is a challenge, at
least for me.
Does anyone have a spare they want to get rid of before we order a full-price replacement?
It's a 4-output switcher with
5 vdc @ 20 Amps +12vdc @ 4A -12vdc @ 4A +24vdc @ 3A...
Anyone got one to sell or barter?
Thanks in advance
Carla
email address is really "carla dot fong at verizon dot net"

Hurco peeple have been mentioned in a few threads in the past. The only one I can remember offhand is Accurate somewhere around GA, and there is another guy in Florida, who has a website. I saw it not too long ago, might be able to find it or a number if you can't.
There's also Midwest cnc, altho dat muthafucka may charge more than hurco itself.
--

Mr. PV'd

I'm personal friends with the midwest Hurco service tech. If you have time I'll forward your requset, let me know.

I'm personal friends with the midwest Hurco service tech. If you have time I'll forward your requset, let me know. ============================= No offense.
--

Mr. PV'd

Is that a PC supply ? a silver box ?
Fry's electronics sells them - lots of people do.
Might not be that - but a custom. Maker mark on it ?
Martin
Carla Fong wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Thanks Martin,
It's not a standard PC supply - those are 3-output with heavy 5 volt and marginal +12 and -12... This one is a 4-output with a couple of amps at -12 and +12 and a fourth supply at +24 vdc included. Maybe not all outputs are used in the Hurco, but at this point I have no way of finding out :(
Retrofitting a PC supply would be a great option but just not feasible.
Carla

Wow Carla!
They are proud of that supply!
http://www.hurcostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_idX
It's too bad you are under time pressure, because you could 'build up' your supply from cheap blocks in an external fan enclosure:
One of these for +5V 20A: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name#7-1303-ND
Two of these for + and - 12V 4.2A: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name#7-1291-ND
One of these for 24V 3.1A: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name#7-1296-ND
58.37 25.44 25.44 _28.61_ 137.86
Now that's more like it.
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Winston wrote:
*Also*
It would be educational to power up your broken supply outside the controller to see if the supply is really the culprit or if the real problem is a short on one of the rails in the controller.
1) 'Cheater' cord. 2) 4.7 ohm 10 W resistor across the 5V output for regulation. 3) Multimeter to check rails.
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Winston wrote:

Winston - we did remove it and verified that the supply itself is faulty. It puts out 0.9 vdc on the 5 volt line when loaded...
Beyond that, without a schematic any troubleshooting is pretty much shooting in the dark.
Carla

Well, it sounds like you don't have to do any more troubleshooting. All's you really have to do now is get ONE 5 V power supply at those rated amps.
Volts is volts, amps is amps.... regulated, of course.
Then hunt around for other replacements at your leisure, lest something else goes.
--

Mr. PV'd

Proctologically Violated wrote:

Unfortunately, no.
Apparently when one supply goes away, they all go. Or maybe they extrapolate a voltage reference from the 5V line, because there's no power on any of the rails. The 5v one is the only one showing any voltage at all.
No schematic makes this a search for a needle in a haystack.
Carla
Consider designing a metal box with the various supplies mounted and a cable connection that connects to the internal cable. Barrier strip on the cable...
Naturally if you can afford the factory version - go for it. Keep the machine oem.
Martin

Winston wrote:

http://www.hurcostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_20&products_idX

Great work - but after searching some more I think I'll use a
<http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name(5-1689-ND>
4-output supply that is almost exactly right and with forced air cooling is as close as I can come for half the price of the Hurco part and less hassle mounting it than the 4 separate ones.
Although it might be smarter to use the 4 discrete units so if one fails I don't have to replace everything again... Hmmm... Decisions, decisions...
Thanks again,
Carla
Carla Fong wrote: (...)

As you saw in the specs: http://www.lambdapower.com/ftp/Specs/zwq.pdf
That supply is only good for 15A on the 5V rail without forced convection and is only good for 2.5A on the 24V rail.
This is not a good match, IMHO.
Have a look at http://www.alltronics.com / Search Term: Digipower DS160-401
Output: +5VDC 25A, +12VDC 4A, -12VDC 4A, -5VDC 1A, Closed Cage
50 smackers.
Just add a 24V power supply and you are set. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name#7-1296-ND
29 smackers.
About 80 smackers for all four rails. Not too bad!
Were it me, I would still go for the separate supplies from Digikey.
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Winston wrote:

I agree - I'll be ordering the 4 supplies today, along with a supply of molex connectors to hook them up.
Thanks for your help - and your patience - I am amazed that you could find that 'almost right' unit at Alltronics. Not the most 'window shopper' friendly site, or maybe I missed something.
Carla
Carla Fong wrote:

Please keep us posted! I'll be interested in how you enclose these.
For a few dollars more, you can order supplies with screw terminals instead of Molex. See:
237-1303-ND 5.0 V 20.0 A $58.37 237-1301-ND 12.0 V 5.0 A $30.07 237-1305-ND 24.0 V 4.2 A $58.37
$176.88 instead of $137.86. Might be worth it.

You didn't miss anything. Everybody has favorite sites for obscure stuff. Like many sites, Alltronics interface is 'User Vicious' (SM).
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Take note of the "0 units in stock"
none to be had even at their price.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

Yup! I provided that link to show the cost of the part when it is in stock. Elsewhere on the net, I saw comparable prices for 'swap' power supplies. So you get to pay 400 odd smackers for the supply and you have to send your old one back! Holy Shinola! I also saw a supplier that fixes them for a flat $200 fee. He was careful to point out that this is an average and that any particular customer might be billed for more.
I'm in the wrong business again.
--Winston
--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Carla Fong wrote:

Look up Marlin P Jones, http://www.mpja.com/ they have a huge list of power supplies like this. With a little luck, you might be able to find one that is a very good mechanical fit, too.
Jon

you should be able to buy an old woren out Hurcanator for 400 bucks nowadays. Most shops scrap those old beasts or there sitting in the corner of a shop collecting dust. Isn't there a CNC junk yard someware?