Blueprint Bloopers Quiz

To all:
    Just saw this cruising around, it's old but if you haven't seen it - well it's new. See how many errors you can find.
    Also a nice view of the innards of a Kurt if you've never had one apart.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:
Opps, Biggest Blooper of all, I forgot to add the site: LOL
http://cuttingtoolengineering.com/pdf/2005/0508-StayingSharp.pdf
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Heh. There are more than 9 errors in that drawing. Even they missed a few.
--
Anthony

Just to clarify, here's my list: 1. Missing dimension -> Shaft Length 2. Hidden lines for shaft do not match other views 3. Width 4'-0" top view <> 4'-6" in side view 4. Width 1'-6" top view <> 1'-0" in side view 5. Missing dimension -> E width in side view 6. Missing dimension -> E location in front view 7. Detail F missing in side view 8. Step in top view (4'-0" dimension) not shown in side view 9. Hidden lines for Detail E not shown in top view 10. Diameter for shaft shown as length (orientation) 11. Redundant dimension 5'-6" 12. Step in top view (9'-0") not shown in front view 13. Non toleranced dimension information missing 14. Dimensions placed on/within drawing features 15. Location of rotating shaft not defined AND/OR 16. Part edges not defined from centerline (both axis, could count as 2 errors -> missing dimensions) 17. Missing dimension --> Surface tolerance 18. Missing dimension --> GD&T related to shaft roundness, perpendicularity, etc 19. Missing dimension --> allowable tool radii @ shaft to face 20. Missing drawing information --> weldment or machined?     20(a). If machined, missing allowable tool radii for all internal machined features.     20(b). If weldment, missing weld symbols and weld specifications 21. Step shown at top of "C" in front view missing in side view
........I'll stop now....
--
Anthony

Anthony wrote:

Anthony:
    21 I'm impressed. But some of those aren't really errors in the particular drawing, just a lack of extra notes.
    In my first post I put the number 14 way at the bottom, where you'd have to scroll down to see it. That was the number of errors I had found.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Actually, not a lack of extra notes. Most of what I mentioned would actually be needed by the person making that part, do you not agree?
The only other things I mentioned were technical drawing "rules" or convention.
--
Anthony

Anthony wrote:

Anthony:
    Well, yes and no. I think it's a perspective issue, but probably more yes than no. I don't think the writers of the quiz were looking for the level/degree of scrutiny you're applying.
    Here are a few of their errors you listed:
> 13. Non toleranced dimension information missing
    The whole title block is missing. You could count that as an error. But if it WERE there it should give a tolerance for fractional dimensions and one for 1 place decimal dimensions.
> 15. Location of rotating shaft not defined > AND/OR > 16. Part edges not defined from centerline (both axis, could count as > 2 errors -> missing dimensions)
    I assumed that the vertical and horizontal centerlines in the side view meant that the round feature D was in the center of the 5'0" vertical dimension plus the in the center of the 5'6" horizontal dimension. It doesn't appear to be to scale - so maybe you could call their omission of a note saying "Do Not Scale" to be another error.
> 17. Missing dimension --> Surface tolerance
    In the missing title block?
> 18. Missing dimension --> GD&T related to shaft roundness, > perpendicularity, etc
    It's obviously not a GD&T print - so it probably shouldn't be held to GD&T standards.
> 19. Missing dimension --> allowable tool radii @ shaft to face
    That should be in the missing title block.
> 20. Missing drawing information --> weldment or machined? >     20(a). If machined, missing allowable tool radii for all internal > machined features. >     20(b). If weldment, missing weld symbols and weld specifications
    You're assuming machined or weldment. It could very well be screwed & doweled together. Some prints note that the part is to be assembled with normal hardware (screws & dowels) without showing every screw and dowel location - but that note is missing so it could qualify as 20(c), eh?
    If I were the teacher grading this quiz in class - I'd have to say you passed with flying colors - and would probably try to recruit you to draw up the next quiz. LOL
-- BottleBob http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

    Ya know, when I was writing that, a little voice was chirping inside my head telling me something isn't copacetic here. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

It's that huge, bite-your-ass-every-time word.......
ASS-U-ME
--
Anthony

BTW Bob, Now that you are retired, when your better half gets well enough, you should come out east and visit the beautiful East TN mountains. I might even be able to arrainge a couple hour entertaining sight-seeing tour for you *G*.
--
Anthony

After he visits NYC/Yonkas -- and fixes my bathrooms.... :) Hey BB, you *do* know plumbing, right??
--

Mr. PV'd

Proctologically Violated wrote:

PV:
    Well I'll tell ya, about 9 months ago my toilet started dripping under the tank, just a washer I supposed, plus the float mechanism was leaking slightly - no matter how I bent the float rod. So I put in a new style device that takes the place of the float and shut off rod that most toilets have. It's been working fine ever since. Knock on woo... well I guess this simulated wood-grain particle board will have to do.
    As far as making a house call to Yo'kers, well I don't know, how many quarter-mile passes is that equivalent to?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Not that many. Heck, you can easily get to Sandy Yeugo in about an hour or so...
Anthony wrote:

Anthony:
    Sight-seeing tour? Tennessee mountains, eh? Isn't that like "Deliverance" country? ......................Just kidding. <g>
    That's a very generous offer, and I really appreciate you making it. I drove across half the US when I was 18, or as far as Georgia or Alabama then up to Kansas. But I'm really not much of a long distance driver these days. If it isn't in quarter mile banzai segments, I get bored quick. LOL
    I certainly thank you for the invite though.