Survey Transit Optical Plummet

I found a Schneider TT700 transit on Craig's List I couldn't resist
buying. It was probably made in the late '80s and seems in good
shape and nicely made. I borrowed a much older K&E to do some layout
work for my new garage a while back...so this seemed to be useful tool
for the price. I guess transits go for next to nothing now, most
surveyors I've seen use the electronic theodolites and stations,
probably a lot faster and more accurate. Anyway, the TT700 transit has
an optical plummet, which not being a surveyor, I've never used.
It's a scope mounted in the side of the housing with two mirrors
allowing a view out the center bottom of the mount. The mounting
thread for the transit is 5/8-11. I need a tripod for it, and after
looking at a few in on Ebay, most seem to have a hollow 5/8"-11 center
bolt. Is it a reasonable assumption that most any tripod with a
hollow 5/8-11 bolt is designed to allow the optical plummet scope to
"see" a target under the tripod? Also would be nice if I could find
a copy of the manual somewhere...guess I'll call around Monday and see
if anyone has ever heard of this unit and has an old manual lying
around.
Reply to
oldjag
Hey Jag,
Would this 5/8 bolt with a hole thru have been to hang a plumb-bob on/from? And would the "plummet" you mention take the place of the bob?? Good idea, as trying to keep the bob line placed over the mark in the weather is tough.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Yes; the plummet takes the place of the plumb bob. The scope on the side of the housing "looks" through the hollow center bolt and focuses on the target on the ground. Of course you could attach a plumb bob to the hollow bolt instead, but normally you would not need one.
Reply to
oldjag
oldjag, I grew up with all of this equipment along with the new electronic theodolites and 'total-stations'. Yes, the optical plummet takes the place of the plumb bob, although both can be used. If the scope for the plummet is in the body of the insturment (as opposed to the base), plumb can be checked and adjusted simply by rotating the the instrument to see if it stays on the mark. Nice feature.
Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
About four years later I found a SCHNEIDER TT-700 transit on Craigslist an d I also could not resist buying it. I have most everything figured out, b ut would still like a manual for it. I looked on Google and did not find an y manuals. Also looked in the local library catalog and found one book on surveying by Breed and Bone. I have a tripod inherited from my brother in law, but it needs some sort of adapter to be used for a transit.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
I have most everything figured out, but would still like a manual for it. I looked on Google and did not find any manuals.
Would still like a manual if anyone has one or knows where to download one. I found the optical plummet thanks to this discussion.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster