Hurco monitor

My older CNC mill uses a 9" monochrome composite monitor. It's usable, but fades a bit after being on for an hour or two. Anyone
know of a source for a generic, LCD, composite input signal, display of similar, or slightly larger size? I'm thinking a LCD monitor might be cheaper than a replacement CRT, which seem to run around $375.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:01:41 -0800 (PST), oldjag

OmniTurns got away from the Monochromes as the life span is only 4-6 or so years when left on all the time..and went to the LCDs..the small 8" ones one can find on Ebay for $15-250
What sort of video card do you have..that is the root of your issue and has to be determined before proceeding.
Gunner

He said composite.

I buy the 7" $100 +/- for video test monitors when setting up CCTV systems. I use them with the built in battery, but no reason you can't leave one plugged in.
oldjag wrote:

Visit the local electronics place OR even Wal~Mart. Most of the cheap portable DVD players have composite inputs. Or the ones used in cars for seat back displays.
--
Steve W.

Maybe one of the neighbor kids has a semi destroyed DVD player with an LCD. Never really looked at them. I have a 10.5" LCD monitor from a cast off controller from work, but the 10.5" size is just a bit to large to clear the buttons that surround the existing CRT on the operators panel..
If the signal is definitely monochrome composite video (no reason to doubt you), any CRT monitor used for CCTV surveillance/monitoring, small TV with Video input, or even plain TTL amber-green CRT monitor will display your video.
I forget the pins used for using composite video with a TTL monitor, but the pinout should be widely available online, try the SER science.electronics.repair FAQ.
There are new CRT video monitors available for considerbly less than the cost you mentioned, and used ones can be found for almost nothing.. I think I paid 4 or $5 for a working 10" B/W mono monitor a while ago (hamfest or garage sale).
Many surplus electronics components suppliers used to sell new, bare CRT monitors (no enclosures) really cheap years ago, maybe some still do. Amber or green screens shouldn't matter, since they were really cheap.
BTW, avoid attempts at using a TV that has no video input jack as an improvised monitor, as some TV chassis have line voltage live/hot grounds in them.
--
WB
metalworking projects
oldjag wrote:

Where are you located? I still have a few metal cased 9" mono composite monitors in storage. Shipping would be the problem.
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:29:29 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Buy a cheap dual screen auto DVD player and use the second screen for the monitor.. You get the DVD player and 2 screens for a hundred bucks on sale.