monitor repairs

Hi.Is there anyone on the group with experience of monitor repairs that could help with a problem I`ve got? regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Received wisdom is that anything less than a top notch 17inch isn't worth bothering with. I've a 15inch Sony with a broken wire in the data cable - declared "beyond economical repair". I keep the cable squeezed to keep the conductoers together!

Reply to
Steve

Even a top notch 17" isn't worth it these days - I've bought Sony Trinitrons from the tip of a couple of quid, along with other makes like Philip, Packard Bell etc. The coming weekend would be an excellent time to visit your local tip

- there'll be lots of folks out shopping for new IT kit, and a lot of the old stuff will be turning up at the dump.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Stephen,it`s an industrial monitor,part of a control panel.The replacement cost is over =A31000.

regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

If anyone in the Leeds area is after a monitor - I can point them in the direction of a source of 17" for a price of 15-20 quid each - no connection, just satisfied customer. They also do mail order, but it's a bit expensive to post a monitor (hence low 2nd hand value).

Reply to
BigEgg

Mark,

What PLC is driving the controller as you should still be able to substitute a PC monitor for it. On the equipment I use we have Siemens S5 and S7 working with PC monitors.

Mart> Stephen Howard wrote:

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Oww, that's gonna hurt then! Anything particularly special about it though? I'd assume it was standard monitor guts installed in a special cabinet?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Martin,I can run it with an ordinary svga monitor plugged in.It`s on a cnc punchpress which has a Dynapath cnc.The monitor is built into the operator console which also has the machine control and programming keyboard on it.It`s a PIA programming on a keyboard at waist height and looking across at a monitor elsewhere.I don`t want to butcher the console to fit another monitor and to do it right is going to take a few hours which would be better spent earning money.I think Andrew Mawson has put his finger on the problem anyway.If not I will spend the money on a new one from the manufacturer.The machine is worth a lot of money so I don`t particularly want to alter it. The machine can be seen at

click on plant list and then LVD Delta Punchpress or something like that. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Like Stephen has just written it will be a monitor without its case frame mounted into the control box, should not be much to adapt it to fit inside.

Mart> Martin,I can run it with an ordinary svga monitor plugged in.It`s on a

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I really want to repair the existing monitor or fit a new OEM one.This is a ruggedised monitor which is a bit different from a standard pc desktop version.It is in a metal case inside the console and the metal case also carries other pcb`s which are part of the machine control.I would also have problems getting another one to fit nicely into the existing bevel and to have the same mounting points.The machine cost the best part of =A3150K new and I want to keep the console original.I am really looking for pointers on what the most common causes are for monitors not firing up,if I send it off to the firms down south who advertise as being able to repair these things it will cost =A3500-600 for the repair with at the most 6 months warranty,or no repair and an administration charge for looking at it.If we can`t repair it I will buy a new OEM one unless someone has some more pointers to possible causes. regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

Wouldn't it be cheaper, and more cost-effective in the long term, to pay out to have the console modified to take an LCD flat panel monitor? Seem to me that the flat presentation of these things should present very few problems with regards to customisation and fitting - and you'd have the added bonus of replaceability. You could quite reasonably remove any casing gubbins and work with the bare screen.

Half a grand for a repair to a CRT monitor sounds like a hefty gamble to me...these things have a definite shelf life.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Describe what the actual fault is, it could be a dry joint, loose connection. As daft as it sounds if you give the panel next to the screen a thump does it come on. Your local tv repair man should a good chance at fault finding, its only a telly without a tuner.

Mart> I really want to repair the existing monitor or fit a new OEM one.This

Reply to
Campingstoveman

schrieb:

Hi! First: BE CAREFUL, INSIDE OF A MONITOR ARE LETHAL VOTAGES! (Even some Time after Diconnect!)

If its not firing up at all, try an measure the Voltage at the primary electrolytic Capacitors, 'behind' the rectifier. It should read sqrt(2)*Your line Voltage (DC). If it read zero, try a new Rectifier/Fuse. If it reads the above (or 2 Times that value, possible Villard-circuit), look for a fat resistor (2W) about 10-30kOhms and a El.Cap. about =

10-47=B5F, which are delivering Startup-Power to the SMPS-Chip. Check (or Change) = both. If there ar still no signs of Life, look for the HOT (usually the = biggest Transistor in the Monitor, on a Heatsink), desolder it and chack for = internal short circuit (Any of the 3 pins to any other). If Short, change!

That are all my ideas for now.

Warning: I am really serious about the Voltages! Not only the = acceleration Voltage, which can be a high as 27000Volts, even at Horizontal = deflection=20 are about 1200V!

Dont try to fix it if You dont know how to handle this Kind of hazard!

Mciahel.

Reply to
Michael Buchholz

Thanks Michael.I`ll pass this on to the tv guy who`s looking at it.Nothing happens when it is powered up.What the guy found is that if he puts his meter on to check the grid voltage before he powers it up it works fine.Power it up without the meter and it doesn`t.Andrew Mawson suggests it is the grid leak resistor that is faulty and the guy agrees with that,but has tried various resistors without success.I have told him to solder his meter on and I`ll pay him for it.The blokes of on holiday for a few days I`ll let you know how it goes when he comes back.

Stephen,one of the other problems with fitting non standard equipment to cnc machines is that when you go to sell it it`s value has dropped substantially.

regards,Mark.

Reply to
mark

You have not said what the problem is.... totally dead, flickering screen...

When my telly started playing up I took the cover of and it was very dusty inside. I blew it over with an air gun, wiggled the plugs to re seat any louse ones, and it's run fine since...

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

You could ask in sci.electronics.repair, or some of the amateur radio groups. But first, have a look through the Monitor Repair FAQ :

it probably won't tell your TV guy anything he doesn't already know, but it might jog a memory.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Ah right, if that's a concern then I guess yer stuffed! I wouldn't mind betting though that the tube itself, and its associated circuitry, was bought in from someone like Panasonic etc.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard