Monitor needed

This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash. This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash. This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash. This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash. This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash. This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash. This group needs a monitor to eliminate the trash.

Reply to
abjb

[repeated six times]

The trash is mainly on and from Google Groups.

Get a real newsreader, and a real news provider, and learn to use a killfile.

Reply to
Doug Wickström

Any recommendations?

Reply to
None

Agent by Forte, Inc - Free version available or small charge for full version.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Free trials only. The free version is orphanware, available for example a= t:

This is the version I tried and dumped because of its interface, didn't=20 suit me. Haven't tried newer versions.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Try Pan - runs on both Windoze and Linux:

Larry Blanchard

Try Pan - runs on both Windoze and Linux:

Larry Blanchard

Posted from Costa Rica? Is school out there as well?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Posted from Costa Rica? Is school out there as well?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Just tired the trial version, still don't like it. YMMV, if you're=20 willing to learn its interface.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Mozilla Thunderbird is great for both newsreading and ordinary email.

Reply to
a_a_a

Agreed, I like it, but then I don't often encounter yEnc (which TB does not handle reliably) or split posts (which it doesn't handle at all.) Those glitches are issues for some people.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Same here; Thunderbird and its cousin Firefox have been the preferred e-mail/newsgroup reader and browser for many years. And the Adblock Plus extension to Firefox works incredibly well for eliminating nearly all of the annoying ads that infest most web pages. Since AT&T dropped newsgroup access (the Bastards!) I have been using free newsgroup access through eternal-september.org very satisfactorily. They do NOT do binaries, only text groups, but that's all I need.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Never encountered any such people (or posts).

Reply to
a_a_a

None wrote in news:31f5aeb3-b4ac-4c06-a8fb- snipped-for-privacy@e21g2000vbz.googlegroups.com:

I use XNEWS. It's free and the only problem I ever had with it was when a friend using my system and Xnews tried to open the alt.boneless group.

Everything else binaries, multi=part, Yenc all do fine.

There is even a newsgroup devoted to Xnews, so there is a fairly substantial base of users who have answered any questions I've had.

Reply to
John Carter

Most of the denizens of "clean" binary NGs (ie, pictures cars, gardens, etc) prefer MIME or uUencoded posts, and frowns on splits, especially when part 2 is a small fraction of part 1. yEnc causes heightened blood pressure in some of the denizens.

Ciao, wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

I use Trains.com forums. Far better than this forum has ever been. Some years ago there where garbage mouths who controlled the forum so I found about twenty other model train/DCC forums that are considerably better.

Google Groups are where the Internet wll get a Colonoscopy to clean them out.

Reply to
leonard newton

how to do this

Reply to
Jim Hall

The ONLY way to do that is switch the group to a moderated one, and find someone who WILL be the moderator.

The process requires group users (AND others) to vote for that.

Most moderated groups have failed in the past few years because it's a time-consuming, and THANKLESS job!

MUCH easier is for the whiners to just move on, and the smart users get a clean feed, and learn how to use filters.

Reply to
meh

Other than using filters and common sense to strain out the spammers and fruitloops, you can't. (Usenet newsgroups are pretty much Freedom Hall, where you're free to spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard if you so desire.)

The good part of this is that you don't have someone else -who may very well have his own agenda- deciding what you're allowed to say here and what you aren't.

The bad part is that those rules (or lack of same) attract spammers and fruitloops who have *thier* own agendas and who want to either sell you something or convince you to become a character actor in their own private psychodrama.

In short, it's freedom boiled right down to it's essentials: the fact that *you* are completely free here means that everyone else is too. For better or worse.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil