Looking for lucite or acrylic

I've looked high and low (and yes, many Google searches) with no lucj, to find a simple piece of black lucite or acrtlic, 1 x 4 x 9 inches for a diorama I want
to make of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing? The few companies I wrote to either didn't answer or said they don't sell things like that. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 23, 9:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

http://www.swplasticsinc.com /
If they don't have it in stock they probably know where you can get it.
~Pete
Add pictures here
✖
On 24/07/2011 2:12 AM, Twibil wrote:

Sign makers, fabricators, and plastics suppliers in your town/city/metro neighbourhood will have off-cuts. They won't advertise the sale of these over the web as the handling costs would be prohibitive. But if you go there in real life, they'll sell it cheap, may even give it you.
HTH Wolf K.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks. Not much of a website there nor much information, but I wrote to them anyway. I'll see what happens.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:33:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Does it have to be plastic? Can it be wood with lacquer applied? Balsa sealed with auto body filler or epoxy and painted with black lacquer comes out just beautifully shiny and looks just like plastic. -- Ray
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 24, 1:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Sorry my research didn't turn up a result that was up to your high standards.
Add pictures here
✖

Chill out. I wasn't in any way knocking your "research". I was commenting on a website that had very little content.
Add pictures here
✖
Go to a Signarama shop. Or, you could use black foam core.
wrote in message
I've looked high and low (and yes, many Google searches) with no lucj, to find a simple piece of black lucite or acrtlic, 1 x 4 x 9 inches for a diorama I want to make of the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing? The few companies I wrote to either didn't answer or said they don't sell things like that. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

Check inyour area for custom bathroom fabricators. These companies produce slabs, countertops, etc from what they call man-made marble. They can mix it up in just about any color and cast it, cure it and polish it. Don't know what your costs would be, but as a last resort, it may work for you.
We had our master bath fabricated and they were the only ones who could do a color/pattern my wife liked.
Add pictures here
✖

I have no idea where you live, but I would start my search at the nearest TAP Plastics (a couple near me have always been quite helpful)
TAP Plastics www.tapplastics.com/ US distributor of E-glass and S-2 glass fabris, Polyester and epoxy resins, plastics. Focus on boat and race car enthusiasts, and anyone who enjoys creating ... Cut-to-Size Plastic Plastic Sheets & Rolls San Francisco, CA Portland, OR Acrylic Displays Mountain View, CA Product Information Mold Making Supplies
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks. Looks promising. I'll check them out.
Add pictures here
✖