ACBs for the KMB1

Anybody just happen to have a set of new old stock Fafnir MM9306WI2 DUH ACBs they'ld sell relatively cheap? I see one on Ebay, but its not clear if its one bearing or a set.

I replaced the set on the X and its so smooth its scary. It really drew attention to the fact that the Y is not as smooth as it should be.

I guess I can't complain. The machine is over 35 years old.

Timken replacements are pretty expensive. RHPs are a little less. If I have to buy them I have to buy them, but that doesn't stop me from shopping around a bit first. Most MFGs don't seem to have the size at all. 20 x 47 x 15.88 heavy preload.

Boca has a set that says light preload, but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Never mind. I decided I needed to get the machine going more than I needed to cheap out. I went ahead and ordered a new stock RHP (owned by NSK) substitute set from Locate Bearings, because I really couldn't wait to find out if I could luck into another cheap set. I need to get my machine back in service as quickly as possible.

Still the RHPs were about 45% cheaper than the Timken (Fafnir) bearings, and the guy at Boca said they should be a really good bearing even though he doesn't sell them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On 1/7/2018 9:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote: > On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 11:39:22 -0700, Bob La Londe > wrote: > >> Anybody just happen to have a set of new old stock Fafnir MM9306WI2 DUH >> ACBs they'ld sell relatively cheap? I see one on Ebay, but its not >> clear if its one bearing or a set. >> >> I replaced the set on the X and its so smooth its scary. It really >> drew attention to the fact that the Y is not as smooth as it should be. >> >> I guess I can't complain. The machine is over 35 years old. >> >> Timken replacements are pretty expensive. RHPs are a little less. If I >> have to buy them I have to buy them, but that doesn't stop me from >> shopping around a bit first. Most MFGs don't seem to have the size at >> all. 20 x 47 x 15.88 heavy preload. >> >> Boca has a set that says light preload, but I'm not sure that's a good >> idea. > > Bob...CALL these people. Ask for an engineer. > >

> > some of the best bearing prices Ive ever seen..and I buy a lot of > bearings. > > They have everything from Grade 9 Swiss to 10 for a buck Chicom > bearings. Im sure they will be able to take care of you well enough. > > Im in there at least 2x a month. > > > Gunner > > --- > This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. >

They were one of the first I contacted. They couldn't even cross reference the bearing. Boca looked it up and got it wrong. Eventually I looked up the bearing on the Timken website (came up in a Google search but not on a site search), and verified the dimensions and load. Locate Bearings were able to cross reference it themselves, and when they did they got it right. It boiled down to who had what I wanted and got the specs right the first time.

Its seems to be a bit of an odd ACB bearing these days. 20 x 47 x

15.88. Only a few companies seem to make them anymore.

There were couple new old stock Fafnir sets on Ebay the week before last, and I bought one. I wish I had bought both sets. Oh well. Others are listed as one bearing, used, or for near retail of new stock Timken bearings.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'll keep them in mind for next time. Thanks.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just so you know. Locate Bearings has turned out to be mediocre at best for service. Seems like another shop that tells you what you want to hear to get your money, and then provides whatever level of service they feel like.

I was told the bearings would ship on Friday by Priority Mail from California. Instead they shipped UPS ground, on Monday from Illinois. When something like that happens it always leaves me fearing I'm going to receive a box of dirt. I guess I'll find out on Friday when the box actually arrives.

Reply to
Bob La Londe