J & L has them.
Reply to
Robert Swinney
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:04:41 -0400, "Oparr" calmly ranted:
#201-2826 and others.
------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------
Comprehensive Website Development
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I have owned a couple X-Y vises for drill presses (these make more sense to me than X-Y tables) and I can say that quality varies a lot. I didn't like the one I got from J&L, and I liked the one I got from Grizzly. In fact, I kept the one I had gotten from Grizzly after I sold my drill press (actually, the drill press before the one I just sold, so it fit the one two drill presses ago) and it's on my large pile of stuff to find new owners for. I think it's this one:
and it also comes with:
which is bushed to fit a Jet 17MF floor drill press (bushing easily removed).
If anyone wants these (preference will be given to someone close or to someone attending GEARS in Portland because crating these for shipment would be a bummer) then email me offline. I'd take $25, you pay for shipping (or ideally, pick it up or meet me @ GEARS).
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington To email me, see
Grant Erwin
Thanks, that popular table seems to be $20 cheaper at Enco.
Reply to
Oparr
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:26:40 -0400, "Oparr" calmly ranted:
I found a 6x6 cross vise at HF for $23 and it's a real POS: +- half a turn resolution, but it's good enough to facilitate positioning of a piece for drilling. I think these and larger Encos would do a helluva lot better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- The more we gripe, *
longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Perhaps you mean there is +/- half a turn of backlash in the handle? Like any XY vise these should have infinite resolution in the sense that you *can* put any spot within its travel under the spindle.
Enough with word quibbling. The big deal on these vises isn't how cheesy the screws feel (which is plenty cheesy). It's how square and true they are machined, and how rigid they are (or aren't) and how well the gibs fit, things like that. I have found that on all these XY vises I've had to replace the gib screws with higher quality fasteners, usually US made thumbscrews, and I've had to lock the ways in both directions whenever I'm going to drill, to prevent chatter. Thus another metric is whether the vise moves slightly when the gib screws are locked down.
I found my XY vise from Grizzly to work well, a lot better than the one I bought later from J&L. My guess is that like many inexpensive Asian machine tool accessories they can be improved significantly with a little thought and rework.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Enco seems to have the best prices for the same items. Contemplating whether to buy two of the #201-2826 or one of them and the Palmgren MCT18 (#891-4153).
Reply to
Oparr
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:50:01 -0700, Grant Erwin calmly ranted:
Yes. It had a loose sleeve which otherwise would have kept the backlash adjusted.
I knew I wasn't getting a precision instrument for $23, nor have I needed it, so I haven't spent much time on making it a better toy.
Ayup. Almost -any- tool can be tuned to work a whole lot better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- The more we gripe, *
longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Have any of you used a vise like this to position PCB boards for drilling? Is it worth it? (I've been holding/positioning them by hand, and I don't always get a good spot for the hole.)
- Owen -
Reply to
Owen Lawrence
That's why I bought mine in the very first place back in the mid-80s! I actually found I had difficulty locating my holes accurately enough. If I had to use that table nowadays to drill a series of accurately spaced holes I'd set it up with a dial indicator and ignore the "dials" on the leadscrews entirely. And do not forget to clamp the table down before drilling, using the gib screws! - GWE
Owen Lawrence wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
One of the X-Y tables I'm getting will be used exclusively for drilling PCB boards. I too have been holding/positioning by hand. Just as you can use the "T" slots to hold down a vise on a X-Y table so can you hold down the PCB and sacrificial backing (or anything else for that matter). Don't think I'll ever buy a X-Y vise since "X-Y table plus any old vise == X-Y vise and more" in my case. However, that may not be the case with all drill press setups.
Reply to
oparr