Drill Press Options for Tapping

I'm looking for a standard to suggest to customers looking to tap multiple holes at once with a drill press.

Grizzly used to make the G0521 self-reversing drill press for rigid tapping without the use of a tapping head.

Ellis makes the 2400 which is essentially the same exact machine with MUCH better motor controls, etc.

I could and sometimes do suggest a Bridgeport to folks but that requires a manual flip of the rotation and is risky, etc.

So, given the scenario of a customer looking to inexpensively mount a multiple spindle head on a drill press that will reverse all by itself when it hits a certain depth, does anyone know of a machine that will accomplish this?

The G0521 was around $1300 and had a "V" machined into the quill which stabilized the multiple spindle head that would be clamped to it... It was a great, semi-low cost solution for a production drilling / tapping operation. The Ellis is great, but a bit costly and I simply don't like the Bridgeport answer.

We currently make a set-up that uses a Tapmatic head and the multiple spindle head, but it is a bit bulky for some applications and I'd love to simplify the design.

Thoughts?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113

01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site:
/ Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

If this is a dedicated tapping setup there is certainly no need for a manual reverse. It would not be difficult to rig up a limit switch depth stop to kick the spindle into reverse. Setup appropriately with your air drive? stroke control this could be a simple load part, press the pair of hand buttons and watch the automatic tap cycle complete, change parts, press buttons, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

I agree, but many of the customers considering this type of set-up don't have the expertise to do that... Such as the skateboard manufacturer in CA that does a thousand boards a week and wants to drill 4 holes at a time. It's a bunch of woodworkers with basic mechanical skills building boards for online sales... They don't even have three phase power in their shop. They simply want to buy a drill press and a multi-head and be done with it.

We absolutely offer that - but again, to higher end customers with a need and ability to use a machine like that. We will even gang drill multiple machines controlled by PLCs do perform as many as a hundred tapped holes per cycle... This is the exact opposite end of the spectrum I'm trying to cater to.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Yes, but you indicated tapping w/ reverse, not drilling. I'd agree that drilling would be fine on a simple drill press.

For tapping you have something like three options:

- Use multiple regular tapping heads on the front end of your multi-spindle rig

- Control plug reversing of a three phase motor driving the entire rig

- Build your own tapping head type reversing clutch mechanism to put on the input side of your multi-spindle rig

Reply to
Pete C.

It was an example. There are plenty of people doing tapping with a similar skill set / desire to keep it simple.

Can do, and do offer.

Too complex for the customer base I am serving in this scenario.

Can do, and do offer.

The option I am looking for uses a drill press that reverses all by itself, with a built in limit switch. The Grizzly G0521 (do a Google search as it is still out there in some places) did that but is discontinued. Also, the Ellis 2400 offers it but the price is too high for many customers.

Let me rephrase the question - Does anyone know where I can get Grizzly G0521 drill presses for the next 20 years? alternately, a similarly priced drill press with the same exact features would be acceptable if the cost were not 200-300% higher.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113

01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site:
/ Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

--Yea verily I say unto you get cheapie drillpresses and good Tapmatics. I'd guess this would be cheaper in the long run.

Reply to
steamer

Looks like the practical solution to your problem is to get Grizzly to un-d= iscontinue the G0521. If it is suitable, push it to your customers and get= their sales up to where they want to keep making them. =20

Might even come up with a "referral system" so they can see sales, or stock= a few yourself so you can send the press and tooling already mated, tested= , and ready to rock and roll. Yes, you'd have to mark it up a bit - probab= ly still less than the Ellis.

And why the heck are they suggesting a static phase converter for it? (Re = the Skateboard Shop without 3-Ph.) That might be half the problem, they ar= e getting warranty returns/repairs on them from plug reversing on an inadeq= uate power source. Gotta use either real 3-Ph or a rotary phase converter = to drive a heavily loaded motor like that, and plug reversing =3D heavy dut= y. =20

You'll drive a static converter nuts with it trying to drop the start capac= itors in and out constantly, and the caps and the potential relay will die = early deaths - then take out the motor if the operator doesn't recognize th= e symptoms of a failed converter.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce Bergman

I've spoken to everyone I can over there. Probably won't happen as they had them made for them by someone else (Probably Rexon in Taiwan) and something happened to amke them stop that I'm not big enough to fix with my demand.

CLIP

Ellis is a great company from my perspective, but yes I could do it for a whole lot less $ but a whole lot more headache. For now, Ellis is the answer I have for folks.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113

01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site:
/ Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:

V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Perhaps you can locate the OEM in China / Taiwan who actually makes that drill press? Grizzly might even be nice enough to point you in the correct direction.

Reply to
Pete C.

Almost every import drill press from Taiwan is made by Rexon. I've found them in the past but they will not sell direct to me - or at least they would not at the time.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

You could find an importer, or if you have sufficient market and some warehouse space, import a container load yourself.

Reply to
Pete C.

un-discontinue the G0521. If it is suitable, push it to your customers and get their sales up to where they want to keep making them.

few yourself so you can send the press and tooling already mated, tested, and ready to rock and roll. Yes, you'd have to mark it up a bit - probably still less than the Ellis.

Skateboard Shop without 3-Ph.) That might be half the problem, they are getting warranty returns/repairs on them from plug reversing on an inadequate power source. Gotta use either real 3-Ph or a rotary phase converter to drive a heavily loaded motor like that, and plug reversing = heavy duty.

capacitors in and out constantly, and the caps and the potential relay will die early deaths - then take out the motor if the operator doesn't recognize the symptoms of a failed converter. If the reversal is quick enough, a VFD might be made to do something close to plug reversal with a single-phase supply.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson