Snow drill press - What to do?

At auction last weekend, ended up with a Snow 2-UD drill press. This is not much bigger than a regular DP, except much heavier. Has coolant pump and pneumatic table. I'm probably going to clean it up and see if I can find a VFD to get it running. So far I have found zero information on it. This model is no longer supported by the company that bought Snow, though they still offer newer Snow-branded machines that appear to be descended from this one.

At any rate, does anyone happen to have some documentation on this model? Anyone here (Gunner?) familiar enough with this model to tell me the basics of running it?

Lastly, what sort of shop would have a use for this machine? I'll probably end up finding a new home for it, but for now it's a bit intriguing.

Any info appreciated

Reply to
Rex

Why are you so scared of contacting the company that bought Snow ?

The worst they can do is reject your inquiry, something most would agree is bad for business even ion the case of an aquired line....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

as far as I know, Snow made tappers, not drill presses. I scrapped one of those a few years ago, couldn't get any interest in it - it had 2 HP motor, 1 hp coolant pump, and all the things you describe, the pulleys were phenolic, pneumatic table lift. Unless you need to tap a lot of holes, it's probably scrap metal even if it works perfectly (the one I scrapped worked perfectly, no space for it)

Reply to
Bill

.

Well, I thought it intriguing, it doesn't take up much room, and I bought it cheap. This one has a drill chuck mounted, and a fixture set up for drilling. One of the info plates said "Deep hole drilling". But I can see where it would do well at tapping. I'm going to clean it up and play with it, then it will probably go to ebay and see what happens.

As for contacting the company, i emailed them and got no response. I may try calling them next week.

Reply to
Rex

This one was set up for drilling. It also has a mechanism on the front of the head that with a plate that says "Deep hole drilling"

Reply to
Rex

I downloaded those pages. I'm not sure they apply to my machine. Mine is a 2-UD, which is not mentioned anywhere on this site. I have yet to find a date anywhere on the multitude of plaques and labels, but I'd guess it's ca 1950

Reply to
Rex