old VS 15" drill press?

There's an old Dayton-branded 15" VS drill press for sale in my area. I paid $20 for an option on it for a week. I called Grainger and they said they have nothing on it now but that it was made by Wilton, they couldn't tell me when.

There was no power in the shed where I looked at it. The top sheet metal was off the head, exposing the VS belt and sheaves to the sky. They looked OK. There is light rust on the column, table, and on the outer skin of the chuck, which apparently is a #33 taper.

This is an estate sale situation. The former owner worked at Stanford all his life. The motor has a tachometer which is connected and the wire goes into a Rube Goldberg box hung on the side of the machine. There's some kind of circuit board in there, and a pot shaft sticking out the front and a 3-way toggle sticking out the side. I think the toggle is FWD/OFF/REV and I imagine the electronics on the side were for some kind of RPM display.

The spindle seems to spin freely, and the quill goes up and down fine. It has 6" of quill travel and a solid quill clamp as well.

I'm going to haul a trailer back out there in a few days and power it up and if it seems to work OK, haul it home.

Anyone have any info on this machine? Dayton model 3Z327. There's one on ebay, item no. 300246389591.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Looks very similar to my powermatic 1150 drill press, which I like a lot. No power in the shed can be resolved by bringing extension cords or a generator.

I can sell you any number of Jacobs 33C chucks for spares. Just tell me how many you need, 5, 10 etc.

Ignoramus20579

First tell me how to get the dang thing off! It doesn't have a slot for a drift key .. wedges?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Wedges, for example .

I recall that the JT6 wedge set was best for JT33. The other sizes are on catalog page 1631.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

OK, it *really* looks like a Powermatic 1150. I no longer think it was made by Wilton, which is probably good news since Wilton is now essentially just a different arm of Jet, just another Chinese importer. Is Powermatic still in business?

Grant

Ignoramus20579 wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Now that's funny!

Can you say WMH tool group! They own them all, and they are all still in business. BTW I have the 20" Dayton/Wilton model and I wouldn't trade it for a powermatic, and I have tons of powermatic stuff.....

William.....

Reply to
William

I wouldn't trade a 20" DP for a 15" DP either. This is quite a bit of machine for a 15" DP, though, at 250+ pounds.

Grant

William wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, that press does not look identical to powermatic 1150. It is merely similar. Powermatic 1150 weighs, maybe 300+ lbs if not 400.

As someone said, Wilton owns them all.

Ignoramus7968

No, I ment to say I wouldn't trade a 20" for a 20" the Wilton I have is a much better machine than the powermatic.....

William....

Reply to
William

Sounds similar to one I offered $250 for when a widow asked me to price her deceased husbands tools. I bid 250 on it at auction. Only one other bidder, he won, 250 is what I told her and what I was willing to bid. Might go a few bucks higher now, inflation you know.

Check out the varidrive system. They can be rebuilt you know. I've been doing it on my lathe.

Wes

Wes

250 is what I

The lady's son sold it despite the lady having taken my money and agreed on a price.

She's going to send back my money.

I don't care beans about old Dayton DPs now, thanks anyway.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin