Micro drill press

Hi. A while back I bought a Cameron Precision Engineering micro drill press, mod. # 164D-7. A retired machinist was closing down his shop (man, did he have some things I still dream about) and I paid $25 for it. I need a manual and have not had any luck locating the company. I did a google and white pages search, with no luck. They were located in Sonora, CA. Anyone out there know it they still exsist? And if not, anyone have a manual I could beg, borrow or purchase a copy from? TIA, Bill.

Reply to
lathenut

Randy Replogle

Thanks a bunch, Randy. Bill

Reply to
lathenut

Your post aroused my curiousity and after a little Googling I was blown away to discover that you can buy drills and end mills as small as .002" diameter. And some places have 'em even smaller.

Shoosh! I Learn something new every day.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I've bought some oddball printed circuit drills from drill technology. Nice people and no hassles.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Just talked to the people (woman) at Cameron. Extremely nice. She is going to send me a catalog and the info (instruction sheet) for my model drill press - no charge. Thanks again, Bill

Reply to
lathenut

Why do you need a manual for a drillpress? (As in what am I missing here -- I have a Cameron 154 too....)

Reply to
Don Foreman

According to :

I have a Cameron Micro, but I don't remember anything resembling a manual as such. At best perhaps a four-page phamplet. I believe that it was lost when I moved from my apartment to the current house.

But what do you need a manual for? Use a light spindle oil in the oil cups on the spindle (center top of the headstock) and in the two on the motor.

To change speeds, you loosen the knurled head screw on the right side of the motor bracket, and tilt the bottom of the motor away from the column, to slack the belt.

The belt is the same as for a Singer 221B sewing machine as far as I can tell.

The headstock moves down the column when you use the feed spider. You can lock it with a screw with a tommy bar on the right side which adjusts tension on the gib working on the side of the rack gear on the column. (There are also two screws on the gib with locknuts to adjust out side play, as that is what keeps the head from rotating around the column.)

The motor (at least on mine from around 1974 or so) has a toggle switch on the bottom. IIRC the original switch throws to one side to apply power directly to the motor, and to the other side to apply the power through a resistor inside the motor housing for slower speeds. My original burned out, and I wound up replacing it with one which was DPDT (Double Pole, Double Throw), except that one section switched going from center to one side, and the other switched center to other side, and I wired that so I can go from stop (one side) to slow (center) to full speed (other side).

The odds are that whatever switch is in this one is not the original anyway, and the manual may not resemble the wiring really in there now -- if the manual even documented what was inside the motor.

Mine came with an Albrecht 0-1/8" chuck (0-3mm), but other chucks with a Jacobs 0 taper will fit on it.

I guess that the best use of the manual would be for getting part numbers to order missing or damaged parts if any.

Mine had a hex shaft sticking up from the headstock, with a fitting which could be adjusted up and down the hex to support a dial indicator (0-1.000" came with mine) to measure the travel of the headstock by checking against the top of the column for a reference.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Paul