Sterlitamak 2S125 Drill Press?

I've got all the measurements from this one already, so no favors being asked this time around.

Just curious if anyone had ever heard of this brand. I take pride in knowing a good number of makes and models and rarely am I surprised by a make I've not heard of... But this one caught me at a funny time this morning and had me laughing at my lack of knowledge a bit.

It is supposedly a Russian-made drill press sold in the UK and Ireland, etc... But it certainly looks Asian from this web site:

Looks to be quite a capable machine... Until you look at this model by the same company:

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Let us know how it works out, looks quite immense, I believe that a German company is making similar looking drill presses.

Ignoramus28186

Sterlitamak is the Russian city (more precise it is Bashkortostan city - small republic, part of Russia). It is well known for it's machine building factories. But current reality is that lot of small machines, having russian looking brand names could be imported chinese stuff (modified/customized at best). It's not so for big machines, but there are not many survived manufacturers left. It is also possible that actually China is doing copies of originally russian design. Naming like 2S125 is VERY common for russian manufacturing - there where actually no any brand names in methalworking manufacturing but those ugly IDs and some references to the manufacturing plant.

C.

Reply to
Coyher

By the way - if you look at

you would see that name 'Sterlitamak' is used in place of country of origin. So it is possible that device is imported from Russia to China and then sold to the UK/Ireland.

C.

Reply to
Coyher

Hey C.,

Yeah, and if you look at :

it says it is a "Taiwan" model, but the face-plate name is AMCAS or something. If you look even closer to the bottom of the page, it says that "Zhongyang has been dealing in second hand European machinery for more than three decades.", and below that it says that they are in Malaysia. Ah, a world of mystery!!

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks for the background info. Very interesting stuff. I'm not sure how it will help me do my job better, but I sure do love learning these things...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill