NMR - AutoCAD on Vista?

Anyone running older versions of AutoCAD on a Vista box?

Problems? Fixes? Etc?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

If it doesn't work check VMware and parallels which allow multiple os's to work at the same time.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

My thoughts exactly. The shop next door tried to load ACAD2000 on his Vista box - compatibility mode and all - and failed. Dell isn't much help either for him.

I'm going to be VERY careful when I update our machines here... We have a newer version of ACAD, but it sure isn't worth me spending 12+ hours trying to get a single program running like him... And it still doesn't work for him.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Why exactly would you want to run on vista? What benefits will vista provide vs. say W2K? My assessment would be that not only would it provide no benefit, vista would eat more system resources (CPU and mem) and give worse performance. Simple rule - never "upgrade" unless there is a specific feature / capability that you actually require. Most of my machines are still on W2K and performing their intended tasks flawlessly. Also remember if you buy a PC and it comes with vista, you can dump vista and load W2K or XP instead.

Reply to
Pete C.

Want to? No... You've got it all wrong.

You can't buy a new PC with anything other than Vista in many cases. It looks as if they are offering XP for a short while, but that will be phased out soon enough and anyone looking for a new PC will have no choice but to get Vista or erase everything on the PC and re-load XP, W2K, etc.

Many people simply don't want to load an older OS onto a brand new machine... I enjoy the stability of XP over W2K, but not the extra junk that comes with it. I presume it may be the same situation with Vista...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

What stability of XP over W2K? I have four W2K system I run, a couple

24x365 and they give me no problems at all.

As for the OS the box comes with, if it comes with a Vista license that's fine, it takes me perhaps 30 min to wipe all the preloaded garbage off a new PC and load W2K on it.

Again it's a question of what benefit does the new OS provide, and in the case of both XP and Vista I haven't found any benefit for any of my applications.

Reply to
Pete C.

Not everyone wants to - or has the resources on hand to wipe the PC and load the older version OS.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

============ I don't know what your situation is, but I use the CMS version [there are several "flavors" being distributed] of IntelliCAD. All of the lsp and vba add-ins I have tried worked without any problems, although add-ins such as special menus that look for AutoCAD may have problems.

click here for more info

you can download a 30 day try before buy at
there are three levels available to match your needs ranging from $71.95$US to 266$US
'pacs' are also available
I have no connection with the company other than being a very satisfied user. Currently running Premium Edition Plus 5.1.5.0

IntelliCAD also has other shop software such as BOM &MRP at very reasonable prices. I have not tried these. see

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

The ability to run Autocad/Inventor 2010 . I'd be perfectly happy with NT3.51 or NT4, if it weren't for being dragged along by autodesk.

BTW, I think much of the stability of a given system has more to do with the hardware and OS install than the OS itself. My current machine with a minimal install of XP is more stable than my previous box with 2K. My laptop with the OEM install of XP has problems, even after deleting as much of the crap as I dare.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Stability depends mostly on the operator. Those who blindly load music pirat... er... sharing clients, idiotic "toolbars", and other crap software will always have problems regardless of the OS. Way back when I had W95 on a work machine mine ran 24hrs for months on end without an issue while others around me with the same OS on the same hardware had problems every few days.

As for the new laptop, it's not a function of deleting as much as you dare, it's a function of taking it out of the box, booting from a real OS CD (not a vendor "recovery CD"), formatting and installing fresh. It take like 30 min and will save you many hours of headaches later. The crap that comes pre installed on a new laptop or PC is atrocious. The days when laptops were non standard and required special OS installs are long gone, so there is no reason to ever keep the pre installed junk.

Reply to
Pete C.

I run Win2k Pro too, have no plans to update at this time regardless of new PC hardware that may come along. I don't find the security flaws to be much of an issue as long as I don't use the Windows tool Internet Explorer.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

W2K pro here also.

provides *nix functionality for smtp, cron, ssh, web reporting, ect. The only software that doesn't work is some image conversion stuff for my Sandisk Sansa E2xx mp3 player. Since it is licensed to play wma I bet MicroShaft required the software to only work with ExPee or Vista.

Don't do Lookout (outlook) IE, stay behind a router and life is good.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Just put in another formatted hard drive and load onto that. Keep the other one entact if you ever want to go to vista.

John

Reply to
john

Indeed, but you can buy a PC as bits, & put it together (or find a friendly local geek to do so). Then put your old OS on it. The machine I'm using here has been upgraded piecemeal over 10 years: the only original bit is the case :) And yes, running W2K.

Reply to
David R Brooks

Pete, I've been running several seats of AutoCad on W2K for years. When we finally changed to XP all of our "blue screen" and "fatal errors" disappeared. The remaining dozen or so associates of mine that still run ACAD on W2K don't dare use the same machine for email, internet browsing or downloading due frequent freezeu-ps. In my opinion, while I am a W2K lover, I do find XP to be more stable.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Might as well get used to Vista. Its the only POS usoft will make available in the future. I got it on my new DELL XPS210, the HOME Premium version that is. If you plan to use VirtualPC, or anything else, then you might as well order the Ultimate version. also Note: I got the new machine for speed. Our new rev'd real estate program is a cycle stealing hog (like Vista). We got into immediate trouble with the new user security feature. Our software vendor didn't understand Vista's "virtualstore" feature which then cost us 2 weeks worth of data. It seems if your program tries to write to folders Vista wants to protect then Vista creates virtual copies of your folders and saves all you data there. Your program has access to the data but but when it starts, say "Word", it passes the wrong "path" to "Word" so your data does not make it to the spawned application. Also, when your backup program goes to backup a file at a specific directory, it doesn't know that Vista has written the database to a virtual location. You end up saving old data. The program vendors don't yet understand Vista so be careful. Simon

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Reply to
Shabtai Evan

Joe,

You might want to try this on your Vista machine. Find the exe. file that starts autocad. Right button the mouse and click on properties. Select the compatibility tab. Now, choose the mode in which you want to run in, I chose Windows XP (Service Pack 2).

I was having lockups running Solid Edge V19 on a new Vista PC. Seems to work great now.

Good luck.

Chuck

Reply to
tmcgroup

Format c:\u Install Xp Vista sucks, XP sucks less.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't run AutoCAD, I run TurboCAD since it's for my home shop. TurboCAD has no issues on W2K, Photoshop Elements has no issues on W2K, Mach3 has no issues on W2K, etc.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

That is my experience exactly... Well, almost. I find that if I do a traditional "cut and paste" between ACAD drawings, I wind up with an ACAD process that won't shut down without a control-alt-delete... And it uses

50%+ of my processor doing what seems to be nothing...

But that is rare and total crash situations (blue screen of death) are unheard of with XP so far.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill