Low Profile Vice for Mill

Have a customer who needs a low profile vice for a Bridgeport application. Between the length of my multiple spindle head device and the overall height of his part and standard vice, he comes up about 1/2" too tall.

Any ideas other than asking me about the part since I don't know the shape, etc?

If his vice is a SUV with roof rack, the solution would be a Dodge Magnum with no rack. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I have a 6" Kurt vise for sale, it seems to sit relatively low. Mine comes also with a swivel table, which you can remove.

Ignoramus18212

The lowest vice I know is this one:

Look for model "MD 23" or "MD 13". Seems he is willing to ship over the pond.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Thank you. Appreciated, but he is a large manufacturer... Looking for a brand new product rather than gently used. ...Or maybe yours is new? What is the height from base to the area below the jaws?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Perhaps something like the 2nd vise on this page...

It appears to be about 1-1/4" lower than a 6" Kurt.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

And if this one is still too high, he'll have to make one of these by himself (first picture, ignore the sub-table):

or this one:

Both have at least one jaw that is movable (a bit). Both were made by Gack. Gack is out of business, so DIY.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Very nice... That might be exactly what he needs.

for anyone not able to "fix" the other URL.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

It is used. That height is about 1.5". See

My vise looks similar to D688. I am going by memory.

Ignoramus18212

Well, if you want a _zero_ profile vice, they make two-piece jaw assemblies. Bolt one on one side of the table, the other on the other side, and the part goes between them resting on the table. Or on low parallels, assuming you do not want to drill holes in the table. Enco's March promo has them on page 20. Part #s NR425-7403 and NR425-7402.

Disclaimer: I have never used these and have no idea how well they're built. I've done a few things where they'd have come in handy, but I always managed to figure out how to hold the work with what I had.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

What about clamps? This sort of stuff :-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thank you to everyone. Ned Simmons suggested something that my customer supposedly ran out and purchased right off.

Everyone had some good ideas and I've kept them on file just in case we come across this issue again.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

ebay seller discount_machine sells a zero profile vise. I cannot vouch for that vise. I bought something else from him before (a replacement handle for a Kurt vise). The handle was fine. Seems like he is selling "deep discount chinese imports" with a tilt towards measuring equipment and machining accessories.

See eBay item 330090597233

6" JAW 2 PCS QUICK CLAMP MILLING VISE TO HANDLE EXTRA LONG WORKPIECES SO THAT TOOLMAKERS CAN UTILIZE FULL LENGTH OF MACHINE BED Description: Jaw Width: 6" Jaw Height: 3" T-slot Center Distance: 11/16 Clamp Travel: 1/4 Rigid Base: 12 lbs. Clamp Base: 16 lbs. Hardened and ground for the jaws i
Reply to
Ignoramus16651