Loctite discovery

With my car up on ramps, installing a new trailer hitch from underneath, I made an interesting discovery today. I don't work upside-down much anymore
and I get things a little backwards; I squeezed a tube of Loctite 242 onto my favorite baseball cap and into my mouth.
There were two discoveries, actually. First, Loctite washes out of your hat with soap and water, if you get it quickly. Secondly, it's as sweet as sugar water. In fact, it tastes a lot like Prestone Antifreeze.
'Just thought you'd want to know, in case you ever wondered about it. If anyone gets to taste gasket cement, please let us know what the flavor of that's like, too. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

Your gizmo will probably be glued shut the next time you pee Ed. Keep some solvent handy buddy! LOL
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
Ed Huntress writes:

At $5,000.00 per gallon, Loctite 242 is not on my menu.
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:29:29 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

Sweet! Gotta love the taste of cyano-acrylate in the morning, right?

Who would have guessed what it tasted like? Jeez, what an unpleasant surprise that was.
-- Ed Huntress

Loctite 242 (and 222 and 262 and 290 and some others) are saccharin-based. Saccharin was used, and still is in some countries, as an artificial sweetener, though some suspect it of being responsible for some health problems. I sure wouldn't eat it.
Dan
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:00:47 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm, Dan_Thomas snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com quickly quoth:

So don't.
The "scientific report" which gave the bad name to saccharin used levels amounting to 500 to 50,000 times the normal human dosage, given daily to rats. Among other things, such as bladder tumors, it triggered insulin release in rats which was not duplicated in humans. They never took it off the market but did add CAUTION messages to foods containing it. They removed those cautions in 2000 when further research failed to duplicate any problems for humans.
-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:29:29 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

Ed, you've got a winner here. You merely need to devise a cocktail recipe that includes 242 as an ingredient and supply that to the conventions for both political parties. Think of a trendy name.
For the Republicans it might be a "sealed lips".
For the dems, I dunno since the current mantra is "change" which doesn't seem consistent with Loctite. Use of Loctite does seem to imply commitment to a clear course .... nevermind.

Jeez, another philosopher. <g>
-- Ed Huntress

It smells almond like too. Guess we know where that comes from. Karl
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:29:29 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

Hey Ed,
Empirical testing and evidence is best, but I don't think I would have the nerve you do, to do that kinda useful customer report. Thank You!! (I'll know what to do next time my wife needs a "Sweet&Low for her coffee!!)
Besides, I can't figure out what you were doing with Loctite and a trailer hitch. Having just had a new Reece put on my mini-van Friday, it became apparent that the best product to apply was "Nev'r'Seez" or "Masters Metallic". 2 of 4 bolts snapped off during the removal stage, and one took three "nut welds" and a strong application of a new "E-Z-OUT" before surrendering! Anti-seize was liberally applied to the new bolts!!! (I hope to have a newer van in a few months, and will be very pleased if this hitch fits it too.)
By the way, the "E-Z-OUT" set was brand-new (first use) and a style I had not seen before. It comes in a nice little box with 5 sizes, each with it's own LH drill-bit (of excellent quality by-the-way). There are also guide-bushings for the bits. A size is selected, drilled as deep as possible, and the matching splined hard pin is hammered home and a matching splined-hole hex placed on it and turned. Worked a treat. Mechanic says "Well, that just paid for itself!" although I didn't ask the price. I can get details for any further interest here.
Take care. Happy Labour Day!! Great day for us as we just gained a daughter-in-law last night!!
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 07:39:07 -0400, Brian Lawson

Belt and suspenders. <g> It came with Belleville washers, but I didn't want to put in anti-seize, and Loctite serves both purposes pretty well. I used a lot of the stuff when I raced sports cars and I've come to rely on it for most fastening jobs around a car.
Regarding the sweetness of Loctite, I suspect it's also highly toxic. That's why I made the reference to antifreeze. It's sweet, too, and toxic as hell. It kills some dogs and cats every year, when they lap up a puddle of it left from a leaking radiator.

Hey, congrats, Brian!
-- Ed Huntress
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 00:29:29 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed

Brilliant! Once or more than once, sir? ;)

We won't ask.

I had a spider drop on my mustache once (going to UTI in '72 and wrenching at a used car lot for extra dough parttime), as I fit an oil pan up onto the block. I quickly brushed it off and, of course, there was some silicone gasket sealer on my fingers at the time. It had no taste (just that horrible acetic acid smell and the bright blue color) and I had to trim the hell out of my mustache later that day, despite wiping it off immediately and thoroughly.
-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides
quickly quoth:

Ha-ha!
Antifreeze will kill you. Don't let your pets lap up the leaks.

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 05:20:05 -0700, Larry Jaques

Happens here all the time. Usually a black widow spider too.
Gunner
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 05:20:05 -0700, Larry Jaques

I have forgotten the occasion, but I had a tube of crazy glue break and spew its contents onto my hand and pant leg. I immediately stood and got the material away from the skin on my leg and spread my fingers. I stood still until it was completely dry. I don't recall what happened to the pants - they were probably work pants so didn't matter. About four days latter the dried glue peeled off like a glove. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Saturday was doing a quick glue up using 6 minute epoxy . About the time the handle's epoxy was set I realized I gotten epoxy on my belly hair while adjusting the handle. Pulling on hardened epoxy doesn't remove it from hair. Now I have a bald patch courtesy of my beard trimmer. A female friend of mine is still laughing at me. Karl

Ed, I think you need to change your diet.

That was a force-feeding, Wes, not a choice. Lying there, upside-down, I was surprised to see the Loctite flowing *up*. But it actually was down. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress