Trailer hitch question

I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.
I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?
Thanks Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Well, I have never seen one that way. But there are lots of things I haven't seen. These things are highly individual to the make and monel of the car it is made to fit. Can you get to both ends of the pin so you can easily slide on the hitch pin clip? Can you see any reason why it would not work if it were horizontal?
Vaughn
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:33:36 GMT, "Vaughn"

Thanks to all for the reponses, I've since looked at the factory drawings and the hole is definitely wrong. I'd guess somebody got it in the jig wrong while welding it up in the factory.
Two problems with using it as-is, can't fit a pin in from above, so I'd have to use a pin with the swiveling "keep" on the end and insert from below, which isn't really a problem since I planned to use one of those anyway (already bought one). Though it makes me a bit nervouse about the possibility of the pin falling out...
The second and more serious problem is that the ball mounts that fit into the receiver are all drilled horizontally. I'd have to drill them out myself, don't think it would hurt the structural integrity much, but it'd be a bitch to drill a 5/8" hole through an inch of steel using my el-cheapo benchtop drill press. :-)
I've emailed the company I bought it from, I expect they'll be sending me another hitch - I hope. Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
I'd rather redrill the hole in the right orientation. Putting the pin in from the bottom is just looking for trouble.
I don't know, but I have never seen one with the hole vertical. I have never seen any ball assemblies with the hole vertical either. How are you going to change hitches? (top posted for your convenience) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net
message

Sounds strange. There would have to be inserts that have holes vertically as well. If they exist, I'd say it was ok, if not there is a problem.
Wayne D.
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:26:36 -0400, Mike Patterson

I am curious, are you the person from whom I bought an Atlas Copco compressor.
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:26:36 -0400, Mike Patterson

Nope, the only compressor I've ever owned is still in the basement collecting dust.
I hope for the sake of the family name that you got a good deal! :-) Mike
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:54:40 GMT, Ignoramus13700

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Since you have to take it back, why not get a 2" reciever? More accessories, not just more capacity.
Mike Patterson wrote:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:25:52 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, RoyJ

They're too heavy for his Yugo, you silly top-poster.

- Metaphors Be With You - http://diversify.com Web Application Programming
Makes no difference on the reciever size, the capacity is determined by the vehicle. And since you insult me about top posting, why don't you read my post that says the reason for the 2" reciever is for the ACCESSORIES you can use. Or don't you ever get off you duff and ride a bike? Or use a small winch to get youself unstuck? Or need an exterior platform to LEGALLY transport an LP or Acetelyene cylinder.
Larry Jaques wrote:

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) Makes no difference on the reciever size, the capacity is determined by the vehicle. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think Larry meant the weight of the receiver itself would be too much for a Yugo. Also, I thought he was joking.
Mike Patterson wrote:

Don't use this receiver! The attach hole is supposed to be horizontal for structural reasons. Looking at the receiver AND the insert, there is heavy vertical bending load on both parts. Vertical bending loads cause tension and compression stresses which are carried by the top and bottom, with shear load carried by the sides. Think of it as an I-beam with two webs. I'm sure you've seen I-beams with lightening holes in the web. Within limits, this does not impair the ability to carry loads. Every cut or nick on the flange has a corresponding reduction in the beam strength in bending.
With a vertical hole in your receiver mount, you might expect premature fatigue cracking and failure. Paint "CONDEMNED" on it so nobody else can make the mistake of using it.
Pat (Mechanical Engineer)
But if he paints "condemned" on it, how will the supplier be able to give him his money back since it will not be in "resellable condition" :(