Unscrewing rusted pipe fitting

I have a generator to which some genius attached a 1 1/4" NPT non-galvanized elbow, on the exhaust manifold. This elbow is now rusted and is firmly stuck. I doubt that never-seez or some such was used.

I wonder how to unstick it in the safest way. I am thinking to use PB Blaster to loosen threads a bit, then I would attach a 12 inch "pipe nipple", and use that as a lever. What I am concerned is that such a heavy torque from that levering action could damage the manifold attachment or engine. Any thoughts?

Ignoramus21494

I'll bet it comes right out with a pipe wrench and the pb blaster.

Reply to
dlu

Thanks. I will give it a shot tonight. It will be a final generator test day today, as I will hopefully receive the solenoid and new mounts. I am also building a super cushioned moving platform for it, pictures to be posted soon.

Ignoramus21494

Kroil and heat-cool cycles and it will turn out by hand.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'd suggest soaking overnight in penetrating oil then running the generator a bit to warm the head and then apply some ice to the pipe to hopefully shrink it a bit and break loose any rust remaining.

Pete C.

Ignoramus21494 wrote:

Reply to
Pete C.

Heat wrench. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Fire is your friend. Heat it nearly to glowing, the corrosion will insulate the manifold from excessive heat, just don't burn your shop.

When it cools a bit you should be able to remove it.

Ignoramus21494 wrote:

Reply to
Rick

Holding a back up block of steel against one side of the fitting and whacking the other side with a BFH is supposed to help the Kroil work its way in.

I've never proved conclusively that it does, but pounding it (while I'm thinking about my ex) sure helps me loosen up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If that manifold is cast-iron I'd be hesitant to do any pounding.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

screw a four foot or so length of pipe into the elbow and lean on it. The manifold is cast iron. The elbow should move relatively easily. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Thanks. a liberal amount of PB blaster, 30 minutes, some levering and careful hammering took care of the problem. Thanks to all.

Ignoramus21494