OVERSPEED SOLVED: Onan DJE generator WORKS!!!

The overspeeding problem has been solved by doing two things:

1) Cleaning the solenoid that must be engaged for the engine to run (the one that pushes the same lever as the governor linkage), and oiling its internals with 5W30.

2) Actually correcting the absolutely wrong governor adjustment nut that some military genius decided to "tighten" (he thought probably that it was simply holding the fan cover in place).

So, now I have a perfectly working generator, as far as I can tell, producing between 59 and 61 Hz, about 118 volts depending on load. Voltage is kind of inconsistent, between 113 and 120, I have not figured the pattern yet. May have something to do with having a killawatt on one leg and load on another. or whatever, I was too excited.

I load tested it with 3 kw load, two 1.5 kw loads on two opposite legs, and it did not even change sound or frequency by much. It is a

6kw genset, but I have no electricals in place to test it with 6kw.

So, I have several general directions for now:

  1. Accessorize it. Build and add a nice electrical panel to it, with raintight cover, 110v and 220v convenience outlets, and terminal lugs for connecting the genset to the house itself.

  1. Soundproof it.

  2. Put it on an appropriate foundation, and I would prefer it to be on wheels somehow, so that it could be moved. In its permanent location, I would jack it and put on solid foundation of sorts, with the wheels suspended. If I need to move it, I would jack it again. I also need engine mounts.

I am completely elated and think that I have a very nice generator, finally.

I want to thank everyone. Thank you!!!

Pix:

Ignoramus7135

Congratulations! I gotta say you are persistant. Fiddling with that thing, juggling a constant stream of questions and answers and taking and posting pictures to boot. Bet you could chew gum at the same time ;) Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Thanks!

I can be, with things that I am interested in.

You know, what a wonderful resource these newsgroups are. Absolutely the cheapest and most effective way to get expert advice (with a lot of bunk along the way though). And people are, mostly, so nice and pleasant. Or maybe it is just my mood.

What I am wondering about now, is, what other parts of engine need cleaning, oiling etc. I want to do a "service". I guess I need to change oil and fuel filters also.

Ignoramus7135

Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did damned good for a brainless Liberal

Nice job! ^5!!

Now search google groups for generator soundproofing. There have been any number of threads on misc.survivalism and alt.rural etc on the subject and hints and warnings about how to kill air cooled engines by attempting to sound proof them the wrong way.

If there is anything I, master scrounger, can help you with, feel free to email me.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

Ignoramus7135 wrote:

As I mentioned before, this particular engine was built to withstand terrific abuse! Mine came surplussed out of an offshore lighthouse (marketed by Princess Auto). I ran it for years without any maintenance except oil changes at shameful intervals. I finally changed the oil filter when it actually blew apart! I now have 'grid' power but for ten years that little engine ran my shop. As for a fuel filter - I dont remember what the setup is on the engine but put a good one in the supply line! Whoever worked on mine before I got it installed the starter solenoid housing upside down (easy to do).There is a felt wick that is meant to drain any moisture out of said hoising (condensation etc.). That wick should point to the ground. Installed backwards, pointing up, it does exactly the opposite - collects moisture, with the expected nasty results. Some important considerations: The wiring on these things is incredibly complicated! Dont mess with that unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. The pre-heat switch (momentary contact) takes a lot of amps and has been a cronic problem for me. Maybe yours (milspec) is better in this regard but I have been using a piece of 8 gauge solid copper wire for a long time to 'switch' the pre-heat on - the original pushbutton having long ago melted down and I have found no adequate replacement for it. You did find the governor adjustment (a suprise place to put it). As for oil - I have always used straight 30 wt. Diesel service (extreme service) and, partly because of the size of the sump, and partly because the engine runs 'gentle' oil changes can be few and far between. The fuel pump on that sucker will outlast ten of them engines. I have noticed, as have you, that putting a serious load on that motor seem to have no effect. Its rating sure as hell isn't in 'Sears Horsepower'. Gunner pointed out that there can be dangers associated with trying to 'soundproof' an air cooled diesel (or any air cooled engine for that matter). Put that baby in a box and you'd better be prepared to supply a

*forced* supply of air to it. Better to put the gen shack a distance away from your dwelling (surround it with a thick hedge) than to go to heroic extremes to silence it. By its nature, ringing off the cooling fins is the prime source of noise. Sticking a muffler on it will net you absolutely no noise abatement. I ran with a straight pipe elbowed into a bucket of gravel sunk in the ground - more to clean the exhaust than to quiet it. Should you need it - I have a 'brand new out-of the-box starter motor (shop-worn but never used) for this engine sitting in my shop. You do not want to know how much this would cost if you had to buy one, assuming, of course, that you could actually find one - try to - you will see what I an speaking about. If you feel that having a spare starter is a good idea let me know. You can do it off-list - my return address is real. I will let it go for a 'C' note and you pay the shipping. I will not be home until the end of April - ducking the Canadian winter in Honduras. Enjoy your new toy. Regards. Ken. (glad I could help)
Reply to
Ken Davey

Along with that screw adjusting the basic governed speed, there will be another spring adjustment to damp the 'hunting' or variations in speed with a constant or varying load. Read the instructions, and you can get it adjusted to stay constant with maybe 1/2 Hz. swings when the load changes a lot - but it should quickly settle back down at 60 Hz when adjusted right.

I would put a full-output receptacle on the side of the output terminal block. A perfect connector for this would be a CS-6369

50-amp 120/240V 3-wire 4-pin "Spider Box" connector. This will fit standard 50-amp cords and pre-built "spider box" breakout boxes for receptacles.

If you want to run the house by hooking it up to the house power panel, do NOT just hot-wire it in. You MUST have it switched so there's no way the generator output can backfeed onto the utility lines. Call a professional to do the work, or if you buy a transfer switch kit and install it yourself you must get your work checked by a pro when you are done.

You don't want to kill any utility line workers trying to get your power back on during a storm, do you?

Any good small engine shop will have mufflers with NPT stems that'll spin right into that threaded fitting on the manifold - and don't forget the anti-seize compound so you can get it apart again later.

Kill two birds - make a simple steel frame cart with bar-stock axles, and get 4) 8" pneumatic tires from Harbor Fright. They'll act as shock mounts when you block them in place with little chocks, remove the chocks and it'll roll wherever you need it...

If you want it parked permanently, call Grainger or a refrigeration/ industrial supply house. They have lots of shock mounts.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Before long, ig's going to be the sage everybody else goes to for info.

Reply to