ANOTHER Onan DJE generator starting problem! (Sunday)

Something strange happened today. My onan generator started, ran for like 2 seconds, and shut down, Then it just would not start, even if I depress the overspeed button. Upon investigation, it was found that the solenoid that I cleaned and oiled yesterday, just would not pull in and therefore the injection pump was not working. If I attempt to start the engine and siimultaneously pull on that solenoid, the generator starts and produces nice 60 Hz of electricity.

For some inexplicable reason, this solenoid seems not to be working today. It is not stuck and moves smoothly when I push on it. What gives? Any thoughts?

thanks

Ignoramus19295

You may have burnt it out. The buzzing that you experienced in the early attempts to start may have buggered it. Resistance tests on it will will tell the story.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Wil try to test it now. I understand that low resistance is good, high resistance is bad. Is that right? I will also try to apply 12V to it.

Ignoramus19295

Is it colder today ? something shrunk ? or thermal issue ? Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Is there a fuse in that circuit that may have blown? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

It was no particularly colder yesterday, no.

Ignoramus18778

Maybe, good point, I will check.

Ignoramus18778

There IS a fuse or Circuit Breaker that does protect the Safety Shutdown System on the DJx series gnesets. So you do need to check that. Also if you have low or no oil pressure the solenoid will not pull in, as well as High Block Temp. These sensers can all be checked with a VOM. The diagram of this systemis be in the manual, and is straight forward. Also note that the solenoid has TWO coils in it, and only one is used to hold it in when the engine is running, while both are used to pull it in to start the engine. There is an Internal Switch that drops out the second coil once the plunger is fully pulled in.

Bruce in alaska

Reply to
Bruce in Alaska

Thanks. That's correct about a contact that turns off when the solenoid is pulled in all the way. I will check if the solenoid pulls in if 12v is applied directly.

I will trace wiring a little bit and will report my findings.

I am glad that I had enough common sense to not run the engine beyond a few seconds when I was pulling in the solenoid, or else the engine could be damaged had there been noi oil pressure.

How would I do it?>

Yes, thanks. I have manuals for the DJ series engines and will check them out.

Ignoramus18778