Credit where credit is due

Grateful acknowledgement to Dixie Sheet Metal of Falls Church, VA fora donated stomp shear cut of 6x12 inch 0.080 6061-T6 aluminum even as they turned down rolling the 6x12 blanks to 4 inches OD.

I'm off today on the Y20 Metrobus to All-Metal Fabricators in Chantilly. It's a one-way commuter bus, and I have to grab a cab to Fair Oaks hospital to get back in time for an appointment near home. AMF's roller is 4 inches diameter so with springback the part will be oversized but that's OK, it gets hose clamped to size, and perhaps someone will come along with a smaller roller.

The part is a motor mount for a world's most powerful bicycle generator, some hundreds of watts. A four inch diameter, five inch long Ametek servo motor rated 30 VDC, 12 A stall and max 12 A before demagnetization begins is chain driven from the left side of the rear wheel with bicycle chain using a Big Cheese BMX spider bored to 33 mm by Jensen after I drilled it to 1 1/4 inch with a Unibit starting with the 7/8 given hole bushed to 3/4. The Big Cheese accepts all standard 110 mm BC 5 position chain rings and is fitted with a 48 T steel ring right now. The Big Cheese bolts to a disc brake hub.

A Molex connector rated 8 amps connects various loads to the generator. One load is a Radio Shack inverter and various com and nav projects are proposed at

110 VAC.

I was having chain drop problems but didn't realize until the chain climbed and broke my 4 inch plastic drain pipe motor mount that the 8 tooth pinion needed to be beveled. I beveled the teeth and wire brushed them until they were smooth.

The motor mount hangs from the seat stay clamp bolts on the generator development platform, a 2004 Lightning Cycle Dynamics Thunderbolt recumbent bicycle, behind the seat. A hose clamp tensions the motor against the pull of the chain. Another clamps the mount around the motor, adjusting its alignment with the drive cog. A tab and screw secure the motor to the mount. It fell out once when there was no tab.

In front, a ceiling fan motor has been fitted to the cranks for use as a self-excited induction generator but development cannot proceed until the DC generator is back on line as a motor to drive the AC generator. It's a question of matching a capacitor to the winding. I got a five minute run out of it the other day but then went to test the DC generator and inverter, had the chain climb, and lost the motor mount. A 6V/2A / 12V/2A / 12V/10A 12V/50A battery charger / booster powers the motor.

A cigarette lighter socket plugs into the Molex connector, as does a pair of battery clamps for the battery charger. The inverter plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I've previously ignited and enjoyed a cigarette with the energy from this motor.

Another similar motor has a rivet nut on the back to support the end post of a cigarette lighter socket that will be supported by a conical plastic shell. I'm having a little trouble riveting the stud on that to the clip that retains the lighter. It's a bimetal lamination and you can't just braze it on the stud. It will be more compact, though, and there's a little 6 VDC regulator on the motor back shell for a 7.2 W Nite Rider bike light to be added later. TI donated that regulator.

A rare earth mix white fluorescent lamp marks the front and a yellow aperture tube, sample C provided by Voltarc, marks the rear. The fixtures are Wolo FL-4

4 AA cell lamps sold for lighting closets in RVs.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone. I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically. I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range. I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.

Reply to
Doug Goncz

? generator, some hundreds of watts.

Er ... except when you're coasting downhill, don't those hundreds of watts essentially come directly from your muscles?

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

Yes.

Drag is low with the loads switched off.